• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please explain this behavior

Macerin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tanya
I bought my daughter a pineapple green cheek conure last week. We have had it for 5 days now. I have had birds my whole life but this is my first conure and I have to say their personality is great.

Our conure is called Walter and he is about 4 months old. He has already bonded with my daughter and gets straight out of his cage for her and will even squawk if she leaves the room without him. He eats non stop and when he is out gets vegetables and fruit as a treat.

He started doing this weird thing with her today. He will grab one of her fingers with his beak then kind of bob his head up and down really quickly while holding her finger. Any idea what this means.

Thanks for the help. I attached a picture so you can meet Walter.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He's practicing regurgitating behaviors :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
what Mizzely said, or since he is still young he may have been handfed and he is making believe her finger is a syringe and doing the baby-bird-bob to get it to feed him.
Many youngsters regress a little bit when in a new unfamiliar home and would appreciate a little "comfort feeding". If you can do it that is a nice thing to make him feel more at home. You could do a small spoon with a little baby food on it. Room temp would be good, don't try to heat it as you could cause a burned crop if you don't know what you are doing.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Tanya! Walter is a beauty! :starshower1:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
what Mizzely said, or since he is still young he may have been handfed and he is making believe her finger is a syringe and doing the baby-bird-bob to get it to feed him.
Many youngsters regress a little bit when in a new unfamiliar home and would appreciate a little "comfort feeding". If you can do it that is a nice thing to make him feel more at home. You could do a small spoon with a little baby food on it. Room temp would be good, don't try to heat it as you could cause a burned crop if you don't know what you are doing.
Good call, I didn't even think about that :D

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It's a feeling of security, happiness.....he loves you!...!