• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please Do Not Allow Your Bird To Chew Household Items

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He chews/plays with the chains and pendants that I wear everyday... I only have toys in the cage that came from the pet stores.
Time to stop letting him chew any type of jewellery. Pewter is pretty bad for them too.

And about toys from petstores, I don't trust petstores these days. I only buy toys from the Planet Pleasures, Wesco, Zoo-Max and Scooter Z brand. I buy most of our toys from the fabulous vendors we have here on AA. I see you're Canadian, check out T4W, OG, AO and Parrot Toys With Attitude – :)

Last edited:

kerrielou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
kerrielou
This is something I've worried about. Echo is a silicone fanatic and I honestly don't think it's breakable. Luckily, once the silicone is chewed she gets bored and looks for something else. My biggest concern is cords. I found a monitor cord she had chewed on just a couple days ago and this is concerning. I admit I have given her old cords (I work in IT and have a lot of spares), but I'm conflicted about it. I worry about reinforcing the behavior. On the other hand I also know in my heart of hearts this is just not something I'm going to be able to break her of. She chews the grips on my pens, scissors, ear plugs, headset when she can get to it (which is not very often cuz it's a really really nice headset), and anything else that is soft enough to destroy. I'm on my third mouse since I got her, because she chews up the wheel. I can never decide whether to give her throw aways which I know reinforces the behavior or try to completely discourage her from that material. She has every safe alternative under the sun, but NOTHING seems to substitute for buttons on a remote.

So I guess the only saving grace is once she's gotten through the rubbery part she is completely disinterested in what is underneath, because yeah, what is underneath is incredibly toxic for both humans and birds. Just google "computer recycling in China" and you will find entire villages that now have to have water trucked in, because their water table is so contaminated with these materials. I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with the path I have taken, which is to let her have her own substitutes, but I do keep a very close eye and so far all she cares about is destroying the silicone which is her birdie cocaine.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
You can definitely break her of it, but you are going to have to not let her have access to those items. She may enjoy them but is that worth the health risk they pose to her? Bottom line is that she can't chew it if you don't allow it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is something I've worried about. Echo is a silicone fanatic and I honestly don't think it's breakable. Luckily, once the silicone is chewed she gets bored and looks for something else. My biggest concern is cords. I found a monitor cord she had chewed on just a couple days ago and this is concerning. I admit I have given her old cords (I work in IT and have a lot of spares), but I'm conflicted about it. I worry about reinforcing the behavior. On the other hand I also know in my heart of hearts this is just not something I'm going to be able to break her of. She chews the grips on my pens, scissors, ear plugs, headset when she can get to it (which is not very often cuz it's a really really nice headset), and anything else that is soft enough to destroy. I'm on my third mouse since I got her, because she chews up the wheel. I can never decide whether to give her throw aways which I know reinforces the behavior or try to completely discourage her from that material. She has every safe alternative under the sun, but NOTHING seems to substitute for buttons on a remote.

So I guess the only saving grace is once she's gotten through the rubbery part she is completely disinterested in what is underneath, because yeah, what is underneath is incredibly toxic for both humans and birds. Just google "computer recycling in China" and you will find entire villages that now have to have water trucked in, because their water table is so contaminated with these materials. I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with the path I have taken, which is to let her have her own substitutes, but I do keep a very close eye and so far all she cares about is destroying the silicone which is her birdie cocaine.

There are a lot of bird safe things she can chew instead that have similar textures! I know this because I have a quaker who is obsessed with the same things. These are some of the things I have been able to distract him with:

Plastic Lacing (35 pcs) - California Bird Nerds

http://www.motherpluckinbirdtoys.com/toyparts/chewyrings.htm

http://www.motherpluckinbirdtoys.com/toyparts/snakes.htm

Drilled Sea Animals - California Bird Nerds

The chewy rings in particular are the most "remote" like. Especially if you take a piece of wood, drill holes, and shove them into the holes so that they stick out a little!

kerrielou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
kerrielou

There are a lot of bird safe things she can chew instead that have similar textures! I know this because I have a quaker who is obsessed with the same things. These are some of the things I have been able to distract him with:

Plastic Lacing (35 pcs) - California Bird Nerds

http://www.motherpluckinbirdtoys.com/toyparts/chewyrings.htm

http://www.motherpluckinbirdtoys.com/toyparts/snakes.htm

Drilled Sea Animals - California Bird Nerds

The chewy rings in particular are the most "remote" like. Especially if you take a piece of wood, drill holes, and shove them into the holes so that they stick out a little!
I am so totally going to try these! I've been uncomfortable with what I'm letting her chew on, but also know there is just no way in heck I'm going to break her of these materials. Since I work in IT from home and she spends a lot of time with me in the office it is crucial I give her something similar to all of the very tempting things she's not allowed to have!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I know this is old, but on the silver toxicity comments... I really can't agree. Silver is a heavy metal, true, but like gold and some others it is incredibly stable and generally inert. The silver in your bracelets is not soluble and many silver compounds are also not soluble. Heavy metal poisoning is a function of the solubility of the metal in water, so it follows that silver's toxicity is generally negligible. The EPA link that was posted is bust, but I suspect they're talking about salts of silver that are highly soluble, in high doses over prolonged periods, but it's hard to say without being able to review any of the information. Point being, the amount of silver ingested from casually chewing at silver metal jewellery is almost certainly harmless, baring any actual ingestion of parts.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If your chains contain any silver, yes they are dangerous to your bird(s). Silver is one of the heavy metals and the heavy metals accumulate into the bird's cells.
Silver is toxic!

Thank you @Hankmacaw. I'm not a big jewelry person but I've suddenly decided I'd like a small bracelet. There are a couple of cute bird-themed ones in silver so I came here to search. Thanks to your advice I will find something in stainless steel instead. Better safe than sorry.
:thanks:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will find something in stainless steel instead
As a metal, SS is so much nicer then silver. Look for brushed SS, my favorite.
And to mix polished and brushed is also nice :) How can silver ever beat that?

bsss.jpg