• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

please could someone help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
does anyone know anything about baby racoons...neighbor found mom dead 2 babies died they brought these two down to me i know NOTHING an=bout coons they are about a day old they were ICE COLD rubbed their gums with karo syrup gave them both a warm bath with dawn dish soap and blow dried them have them on heating pad..going to give them puppy milk replacer???? please anyone know anything i just want them to live till i can get ahold of someone

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How about handfeeding formula with a syringe?

Ginger

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Tanya - I know nothing about them, however here is a link we send to folks:
Raccoon Care

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rileys mom (Cindy) does wild life rescue and has raccoons before! You don't want to start with milk. Pedialyte is given first.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Tanya

do not give them anything until you get them warm

raccoon body temp 102.3

pedialyte for the first 24 hours

you have to stimulate them to eliminate

be careful with heating pad, it can get too hot

feel free to pm me - I have 3 in the kitchen right now that are about 10 days old

there is a terrific group of ladies on this yahoo group - they are like the Raccoon version of the Avenue :)

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RR6PUBLIC/messages

Matso has a site here -

http://www.doryandtheorphans.com/

http://www.doryandtheorphans.com/aging.htm

http://remocoon.mnsi.net/index2.htm

Last edited:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Sounds like you've gotten some help. Main thing is they need to be kept warm, given a few feedings of pedialyte, then pedialyte mixed with the formula until gradually worked up to full strength formula. We have changed our formula from KMR to Fox Valley because of Pet Ag changing their processing of the formula and the babies were having some major issues. They are a little tough to get going on the bottle, but will pick up fairly quickly. I just use a small infant bottle with these guys. They also need to be "burped" and stimulated after feeding. If you want more, I can send you about 17. LOL. We've also got baby possums, squirrels, hawks and owls if your interested in venturing out into my other neck of the woods. Oh, yea, and Vod, the baby vulture is still with us. Good luck.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Thank you Thank you Thank you everyone rehab lady on her way have them snug and warm giving pedi..they are very noisy and strong now trying to suck on everything

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Wasn't it fun while you had them? Wildlife rehab has it's ups and downs, but when you watch these little babies grow up and thrive, it makes it all worth it.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Sounds like you've gotten some help. Main thing is they need to be kept warm, given a few feedings of pedialyte, then pedialyte mixed with the formula until gradually worked up to full strength formula. We have changed our formula from KMR to Fox Valley because of Pet Ag changing their processing of the formula and the babies were having some major issues. They are a little tough to get going on the bottle, but will pick up fairly quickly. I just use a small infant bottle with these guys. They also need to be "burped" and stimulated after feeding. If you want more, I can send you about 17. LOL. We've also got baby possums, squirrels, hawks and owls if your interested in venturing out into my other neck of the woods. Oh, yea, and Vod, the baby vulture is still with us. Good luck.
if only you were closer ;)

glad you found someone Tanya

:hug8:

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i was so scared for them im not usted to having something i know nothing about...they were so helpless and cold as cold as ICE CUBES glad they are in GOOD hands my dogs LOVED them sarah thought they were hers..

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
thank god you found some help for them...

Bunkybird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Trish
Tanya~ you remind me of a saying....."Bring me your tired your poor" :heart::heart: and everyone else that jumped right in to help her ~:highfive: :hug8::hug8:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
goat milk is much better
We've tried goat's milk. When pet ag changed the formula up and we started having problems, we tried different things and we still had the digestive issues. We have had really good luck with the Fox Valley formula. It's more expensive, but we are not having the problems we were having.

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Thank you Thank you Thank you everyone rehab lady on her way have them snug and warm giving pedi..they are very noisy and strong now trying to suck on everything

:dance4: Did you contact Michelle?

Status
Not open for further replies.