• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please advise about mousebirds

Papilio

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lorraine
I am feom South Aftica and have rescued 2 baby red cheeked mousebirds after our neighbor have cut a fence down. They can fly fairly well now and have just started to feed themselves on babana and paw-paw. I still feed them every two hours with a syringe as well. I would like to let them free as soon as they are old enough. How do I go about this? Do I put them back in the same garden for their parents to find them? There are no fruit trees in our street and I’m afraid that they won’t survive without food nearby. There are a few fruit farms not too far from our area where there are yellow cling peach orchids which are now almost ripe. Is it wise to let them free there? Please advise what I should do as I can’t keep them, we are often away from home for long periods of time.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Have you been weighing them if possible?
I took a dog around for threads that might be able to help....
@Birdbabe might be able to help as she has been tagged in these threads.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Here is some info on Mousebirds:

Also, @snada is part of a Rehabilitation Center for Wildlife in Durban, South Africa. Telephone; (+27)0728010606 You could give her a call, maybe you are near that area?

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Africa has such INTERESTING birds-- I'll have to look up a pic of the Mousebird!

Papilio--ps-- you posted this Q at 3:43 am [United States time]-- a lady at our church is knowledgeable regarding Biblical Numerology-- As a side-note: there is something very interesting about the # 343... lets see if anyone knows!

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Africa has such INTERESTING birds-- I'll have to look up a pic of the Mousebird!

Papilio--ps-- you posted this Q at 3:43 am [United States time]-- a lady at our church is knowledgeable regarding Biblical Numerology-- As a side-note: there is something very interesting about the # 343... lets see if anyone knows!
Isn’t it the number of ascension or enlightened consciousness?
Am I thinking of something different?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Call the number @Zara gave you, probably the best bet..Thank you for helping.

Papilio

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lorraine
Thank you so mu
Here is some info on Mousebirds:

Also, @snada is part of a Rehabilitation Center for Wildlife in Durban, South Africa. Telephone; (+27)0728010606 You could give her a call, maybe you are near that area?
Thank you so much for the info. I’m from the Western Cape but will contact her.