• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Playtime celebration

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I'm not sure if this is the right place but I wanted to take a minute to celebrate and to give a shout out (if that is allowed). For those of you who don't know me I have a 39 year old African Gray who has spent the past year battling some medical problems. Now Walter if finally completely healthy, enough that we don't have to go back to the vet for six months. As an older bird who has been sick, he has not been big on toys or playing, or really exploring for over a year. Well in the last two weeks, he has started doing more of his sounds and "talking". He even danced the other day! He has also started exploring his cage a lot more and so I took the plunge and ordered some toys from Seriously Nutz. Well usually in the past he had been very nervous of new toys and so I typically would begin by placing them outside his cage, then hung on the outside of his cage and finally in his cage where he would typically ignore them for about a month before condescending to try them out. Well I got his new toys and layed them out in his view, which he showed interest in so I hooked them to the outside of the cage, which he went to see what they were in less than a day. So I put them in his cage. Well I was shocked to find all of the toys had been chewed on and played with in less than 24 hours. Before this time, I could never get him to chew on anything stronger than a willow ball and he was actually chipping the wood (Thanks Serious Nutz for the article on the difference between with grain and against the grain). It makes me so happy that he is well enough, secure enough, and brave enough to really enjoy life again. I think my toy budget will have to increase! Thanks to AA for the advice, information, and great vendors who really care about their products and the birds they serve! You guys are amazing!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so happy to hear that your Walter is feeling well enough to really play and explore! That's exciting news :loveshower:

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
That’s wonderful news! You’re a great bird parront! :bliss:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's fantastic news all around! I swear Nutz toys are magic I got the huge puzzle toy for Zazu(CTGCC) and she'd always been a great toy player but I figured the size would put her off a bit... nope! She attacked it right away and she only had it maybe 2 months before she unexpectedly passed but by golly did she adore it and would chew it for hours chipping away.