• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Playing instead of sleeping

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Hey everyone! About a month ago I adopted my lovely Green Cheek baby, Kiwi, who's about 3 months old. Up until this past week she's been sleeping like a champ, straight through the night until the next morning.

Recently however, instead of doing that, she'll wake up and "play". Kiwi goes in her cage around 7:30 every night, and I cover her at 8:00. She sleeps up until about 11:00pm-ish which is when she wakes up and decides sleep isn't fun anymore. She'll climb up and down the bars of her cage, all around, hang from the top, chew on her wood toy(which I have taken out tonight) and repeat. Kiwi is my first bird, but I did try and research and prepare myself as best I could but I'm still running into these little things that I didn't see in my readings. So I'm wondering if anyone else's feather babies do this, or if this is an abnormal sign?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Sometimes I hear Jade get up at night and play with her bell, so I don't think a bit of activity at night is abnormal. Is she covered in a dark quiet room at night? White noise (fan, AC, etc) is okay.

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Sometimes I hear Jade get up at night and play with her bell, so I don't think a bit of activity at night is abnormal. Is she covered in a dark quiet room at night? White noise (fan, AC, etc) is okay.
Because of other animals in the house her cage is in my room, but she is covered and my room is plenty dark. My fan isn't turned on because of how cold it's getting here at night, but the room across the hall has one on we can hear

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I sometimes hear some of my lovebirds playing in the night - especially my youngster, there just isn´t enough hours in the day for him to play enough! :lol:

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
sometimes i hear mel toss a toy around in the night! Not abnormal i don't believe!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I hear mine every now and then. Giggie really likes to ring her bell sometimes. I'm sure the others just love that.

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
I hear mine every now and then. Giggie really likes to ring her bell sometimes. I'm sure the others just love that.
Oh yes, Kiwi especially loves her bell toys at night, my alarm this morning was her hanging onto one of her more jingling toys and hitting it against her cage over and over!

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
I sometimes hear some of my lovebirds playing in the night - especially my youngster, there just isn´t enough hours in the day for him to play enough! :lol:
If Kiwi could have all the hours in a day to play, she sooo would :lol:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
It is quite normal for birds to wake up and decide to play in the middle of the night. If they don't get enough sleep in the night, they just take an afternoon nap after eating lunch. No problem, kiddo!

Put his toy back, please, so he can have fun at night. I have a cockatiel cock who sings his mating song every night a three am!

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
It is quite normal for birds to wake up and decide to play in the middle of the night. If they don't get enough sleep in the night, they just take an afternoon nap after eating lunch. No problem, kiddo!

Put his toy back, please, so he can have fun at night. I have a cockatiel cock who sings his mating song every night a three am!
I will! She has about 5(I think) other ones in there as well, but I tested taking it out in case it was bothering her where it was places by her sleep perch and she was trying to tell me to take it out

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My cockatiels live cage free in the bird room. I often hear them at night getting up to eat a few bites, move from perch to perch, and, of course my 3am singer!