• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Playing CHASE around the house, is ok?

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
So let’s say I have this big room in my house, really large and spacious.
and I want my lovebirds to burn off some fat while exercising their wings...
would it be okay if I get one of those cat toys that makes them chase it, and I run around the house from corner to corner,
teasing my bird to fly - climb - run - everything it takes to get to this strange object?

I hoped it wouldn’t become an ‘enemy’ toy to be attacked but rather something like a target stick but extra loud (might have bells)

and if this is a good idea, can I combine this with clicker so everytime they caught up with me they get a treat?
thankies!

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
I forgot to mention safe... there are no dogs nor cats, and most of the time the large room is unoccupied anyway

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are your birds flighted or clipped?

A flighted bird should fly for excersize. A clipped bird will need to run and climb.

Some of my little ones LOVE cat balls - the plastic ones with bells inside;

This ones a really old video, before Aldora, I only had Sydney, possibly had Jaime at this point but would have been a baby,

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
My budgie used to chase me down the hall when he still had his wings clipped. He flies a lot now so he rarely ever chases me anymore but he seemed to really enjoy chasing me

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If your lovies like it, I think it sounds super fun. And yes, if you reward, they might be able to do all kinds of trick versions. Maybe add some words along with it. I say "I want that bird right here!" as I pat the sofa arm and my Linnie, Gigi flies there about 2 of 3 times. I say "Do you want to be a shoulder girl?" after her bath and she flies there every time.

Gigi loves to do loops around the room. I can encourage her by clapping and cheering. She will do it maybe 4 times if I get really enthusiastic. She gets down like a dog and waits on her cage balcony, checking to see if she has my full attention, then takes off really quickly, calling as she flies. Often when my husband walks through the room, she does a noisy fly by really close to him. He flinches every time. So she is clearly teasing and playing and chasing.

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
Are your birds flighted or clipped?

A flighted bird should fly for excersize. A clipped bird will need to run and climb.
Goodness they're flighted of course
When i say chase I meant i run and they fly to get me XD

Last edited:

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
If your lovies like it, I think it sounds super fun. And yes, if you reward, they might be able to do all kinds of trick versions. Maybe add some words along with it. I say "I want that bird right here!" as I pat the sofa arm and my Linnie, Gigi flies there about 2 of 3 times. I say "Do you want to be a shoulder girl?" after her bath and she flies there every time.

Gigi loves to do loops around the room. I can encourage her by clapping and cheering. She will do it maybe 4 times if I get really enthusiastic. She gets down like a dog and waits on her cage balcony, checking to see if she has my full attention, then takes off really quickly, calling as she flies. Often when my husband walks through the room, she does a noisy fly by really close to him. He flinches every time. So she is clearly teasing and playing and chasing.
Thats adorable! I hope they like it... I have been teaching them recall and stationing using this but in a smaller space.
Now doing loops is something I want them to learn. Sounds like a huge fat burner exercise! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Goodness they're flighted of course
When i say chase I meant i run and they fly to get me XD
Look into recall. It is safer than running around the house. Place your bird on a perch or table etc. Then take a couple of steps back, then call them while offering an extended arm to land on. You can make the distance larger each time :) A millet treat will reinforce the call and your bird will get better and better about coming to you :)

edit; :facepalm:

I have been teaching them recall and stationing using this but in a smaller space.
Fantastic :)

Sorry, I should have read all the responses before posting!! :shy:

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I play crazy flight with my bird because she loves to chase a little wet towel when I throw it. She screams the house down flying around chasing it!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hide and seek is a good one, too. Just hide somewhere they can find you (behind the door is a good one), and call them. They can get a good few loops in before they find you... until they get too good at the game and learn all the places a big 'ol human can fit.

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
Fantastic :)

Sorry, I should have read all the responses before posting!! :shy:
Np, I'm thinking to step up the difficulty thats why 'chase' is on my mind. This should also train them to make turns during flight which I bet is an even bigger fat burner haha

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
Hide and seek is a good one, too. Just hide somewhere they can find you (behind the door is a good one), and call them. They can get a good few loops in before they find you... until they get too good at the game and learn all the places a big 'ol human can fit.
I forgot about hide and seek! Might be a good idea. I could sound a treat signal while they're hungry so they have to seek me out

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
I play crazy flight with my bird because she loves to chase a little wet towel when I throw it. She screams the house down flying around chasing it!
Do you have any videos of it? Im curious :)

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I'll try to remember to make a video!