• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Play

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Do your linnies play? Cause got mutiple toys for them over the year but they don't really do much with them. Just don't want to get bored or something. Or is training more a thing for them?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had Gigi for nearly 3 years alone. She played often with her toys, especially enjoying things she could destroy. She also liked manipulating her things, like draping a long toy over a perch or through a circle, or draping it over herself. Now that Dori has come to live with her they play even more. Dori is destructive for her little stature! I need to sweep up lots of toy debris on the floor daily. So yes, my Linnies play with toys a lot.

Some toys have not inspired them, but generally they both like sola toys or other softer woods. They like leather knotted toys, wicker, anything with finger traps, bells, seagrass mats, things they can balance on or go through, rope swings and boings.

These are a few of their toys that have been big hits-

I know you aren't in the US but I hope these pictures give you some ideas that you can adapt to your local stores. Also I believe that BeMore ships internationally.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Attachments

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
I also got this pagoda just a week or so ago and already 2 of the finger traps are gone lol
Now that is a clever little toy . . . and I've got a bag of finger-traps that are begging for this kind of treatment! So are the strands just run through the ends of the traps or are there fingers off the beads that plug into the trap ends?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now that is a clever little toy . . . and I've got a bag of finger-traps that are begging for this kind of treatment! So are the strands just run through the ends of the traps or are there fingers off the beads that plug into the trap ends?
Here's a better picture of the toy. It seems like it will be easy to reinstall finger traps over the dowels. Knots at the top and bottom of the toy. I'll need to buy a bag of finger traps.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is what I did with the pagoda. I choose it because it's pretty big, not sure it's appropriate inside a cage.

1615234723938.jpeg

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oeh love this ^^
The base is a bird cage holder by Prevue. It's very sturdy! I put Vetrap on the top when Dori skidded a few times. I'll be changing things up for my busy girls but this pagoda is a huge hit.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
I had Gigi for nearly 3 years alone. She played often with her toys, especially enjoying things she could destroy. She also liked manipulating her things, like draping a long toy over a perch or through a circle, or draping it over herself. Now that Dori has come to live with her they play even more. Dori is destructive for her little stature! I need to sweep up lots of toy debris on the floor daily. So yes, my Linnies play with toys a lot.

Some toys have not inspired them, but generally they both like sola toys or other softer woods. They like leather knotted toys, wicker, anything with finger traps, bells, seagrass mats, things they can balance on or go through, rope swings and boings.

These are a few of their toys that have been big hits-

I know you aren't in the US but I hope these pictures give you some ideas that you can adapt to your local stores. Also I believe that BeMore ships internationally.
The shoelace looks fun but we don't really have it. Are those just shoelaces or is there something special about them? Otherwise want to try and make it myself.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I walked in to take a look at the toy and Dori was playing with it. @Matto recommended it as a Linnie favorite. So it's just a small circle with laces tied on and draping down, with one going up for the hook. I def think you could make it! I have seen Gigi under it wearing it like a cape.

1615236143105.jpeg

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
I walked in to take a look at the toy and Dori was playing with it. @Matto recommended it as a Linnie favorite. So it's just a small circle with laces tied on and draping down, with one going up for the hook. I def think you could make it! I have seen Gigi under it wearing it like a cape.

View attachment 375678
So cute ^^

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
One of mine almost never chews on anything except some cotton rope hanging off a toy, and occasionally the jute on their ladder. Two others really like the Bonka helix toy with finger traps helix, and also the mahogany stars (cut up mahogany pods). Other than the flakey bark on their play gyms, I haven't had much luck with any of them chewing on wood of any sort. Oh, and one of them likes chewing on a corn husk toy, but only when it's draped lengthwise over a couple perches. So they all have different preferences!

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
I know the fuzzy tents are bad cause but is this one aswell?
Screenshot_20210309-103854_Chrome.jpg

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm I don't know. So cute but it might be very hard to keep clean. See my picture above of the play gym on the coffee table? I throw a baby blanket over one of the sections and both girls really like to hang out under it, preening and resting.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hmm I don't know. So cute but it might be very hard to keep clean. See my picture above of the play gym on the coffee table? I throw a baby blanket over one of the sections and both girls really like to hang out under it, preening and resting.
Yeah I was trying to look for something for in their cage, cause they always hide under my blankets en chill there. So also wanted to get a safe tent ^^

Birdlee

Meeting neighbors
Yeah I was trying to look for something for in their cage, cause they always hide under my blankets en chill there. So also wanted to get a safe tent ^^
You could try a seagrass tent like this from Be More Birds! They can chew on it safely and still get that cuddly, "hidden" feeling that they'd get from a regular blanket.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
You could try a seagrass tent like this from Be More Birds! They can chew on it safely and still get that cuddly, "hidden" feeling that they'd get from a regular blanket.
Thank you^^

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Are paper straws and cupcake liners safe? Should I watch out for something?

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Are paper straws and cupcake liners safe? Should I watch out for something?
Pretty safe and good toys. Personally, I'd stay clear of the foil decorated ones, but more out of paranoia than any confirmed harm they may cause.

Last Christmas, my wife filled a bunch of paper cupcakes liners with a millet and tied them up like bags with a bit of thin hemp twine. Hung them up all over the tree, and Essie loved playing with them (once she found out what was inside).
131053049_381732623054272_6427375741170518134_n.jpg 131016038_706168870032866_301667422276704961_n.jpg

We've also decorated quite a few of her play areas with bolts and straw "trees" -- add on a bolt (#10 is just about right for paper straws) and split into quarters a 3-4" straw segment about half way down, then pealed down the corners and curl. She loves chewing on the "leaves".
20210204_160400.jpg

(full disclosure: Essie isn't a Linnie, she's a Roseifrons Conure -- about the same size, but from the other side of the Andes -- Came for the finger trap toys, stayed for the cupcakes ;) )