• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plastic toys

Sandym

Moving in
My lovie has started to chew on her plastic toy. Is this safe for her to do this?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Does she have other toys available that are shreddable? It would be more ideal for her to have natural toys she can chew up and destroy, such as balsa, yucca, sola, and other softer materials.

You can even give her some cardboard to chew on and tear up. Push some sunflower seeds into it to get her enticed. My birds love cardboard with sunflower seeds.

I personally would remove a plastic toy if it's being chewed up and bits and pieces breaking off.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If the plastic becomes sharp, or your bird appears to be ingesting any of it, I definitely would remove it. Otherwise many birds do chew on plastic safely! Giving her alternatives like pine and balsa though might be more satisfying for her though as destruction is an instinctual need :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Shawna answered the plastic question well. I have had my birds chew plastic before but they didn´t ingest any of it. I do try to avoid the plastic toys that break though, just in case. Some budgie toys are too weak for lovebirds to play with so look for sturdier plastic toy options and stear clear of soft plastics.

You can even give her some cardboard to chew on and tear up
Not a good idea. Because
I definitely second the pine and balsa, natural cork is another great option. It´s good for them to destroy toys, but you need to be careful with things like dried palm leaf, banana leaf, cardboard and other things that can be shred into strips as it can encourage nesting and egg laying.
If she is just playing shredding things it´s ok, but nesting is something to try and avoid, and it´s very helpful to be able to read your bird and know the difference.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Plastic is fine as long as she can't bite through it. Plastic can make some nice foraging toys and toy bases. Make sure she has other stuff to chew on that is soft and can be safely destroyed such as balsa, sola, yucca.