• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plasma t.v. dangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me. I went black friday shopping and bought a plasma t.v. I want to mount it above my fireplace in the living room, but all three of my fids are in there with me during the day. Is there anything harmful that a plasma t.v. woud give off, or emit that could hurt my babies? I hope someone has some info before we mount this big boy! Thank you all in advance.

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
That is a great question. I have no idea. If no one knows the answer, I'll probably forward that on to my Avian vet. :)

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I dont know, but be careful with it over the fire place. We had a TV hung over out fire place and it broke, and apparently is was because of the heat from the fireplace going up..i dont know, the one we have there now is doing fine, though.

Raizer

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shiloh
Ours made a funny smell for the first 5 minutes, other than that the only problem we have had with it and the birds is them pooping on it!

And yeah if you use your fireplace don't put the TV over it!

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
I have one in my living room, been there for 4 years, and that's where my birds are.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Thank you all, I feel much better! I kinda made this purchase without completely thinking it through...lol. Let's just say it hasn't gone over real well....then I had this crazy thought about the birds and got worried. I didn't take into consideration the wall mounts, moving the existing t.v. and entertainment armoire to the bedroom etc. Oh boy! Comcast is coming tomorrow morning and we have to move it all tonight. Should be interesting folks...lol. On the bright side... it is really beautiful and big!

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
It will be all worth it after it's done, you're going to love it. Be careful on the height, you don't want to get a kink in your neck looking up at it when you're sitting down :rolleyes:

Raizer

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shiloh
Oh and don't forget to break it in carefully over the first couple of hundred hours!!
I know everyone says plasma burn in is a thing of the past, but the cartoon network logo and 4:3 lines burnt into my Samsung say otherwise!!

What is plasma burn-in, and how to fight it

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Hadn't heard about that Shiloh, I just sent that link to my hubby. We haven't had any problems yet :rolleyes: Hope it stays that way. Thanks for the link.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
We got a 50" 2 years ago and I have never heard that plasma tvs emit anything different than regular tvs. I did hear that they (all big flat screen tvs) use more energy than the old tube types. Yikes.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I also haven't heard anything about them emitting anything. I do know when I was looking into the difference between the plasma and an LCD that the plasma's are supposed to use more electricity and run a lot hotter than the LCD tvs.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Thank you for the link Shiloh. I will have to take all that into consideration and watch it carefully. It is finally mounted above my fireplace and it looks amazing. Can't wait for Comcast to get here tomorrow to make the complete switch to an HD box and to activate the HD channels. We still have to move the armoire and 32' tv back to my bedroom. This stuff gets exhausting, but usually after it is done you are soo happy. Thanks for all your help. I will have to post pics when we are finished.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's not going to hurt your birds but the fireplace will do a number on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.