• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plants in cages

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
This thread is 100% inspired by @Shezbug , who posted in the travel cages thread about using old cages to plant seedlings. I was thinking to myself "wow, what a great idea, I wonder where I can do that in the garden this summer?" when I realized that I was literally standing next to this project, from about 3 days ago:
20220126_231501.jpg
20220126_232118.jpg

Our former budgie cage, now converted to plant prison....I mean, sanctuary.

Ironically, these plants have been sitting out in the open for months, Argo has never looked at them. Now? They are the most fascinating thing EVER and worthy of much inspection and attempted nibbles :rolleyes: .

Also, a very good use for the hook-on bowl holders, which are too wobbly to use with my birds.

I bet the budgies would adore if I did this on their cage with herbs or something. Would love to see if anyone has tried!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
That is a lovely plant prison. :laugh:

Very cool idea for repurposing old bird cages too!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your new plant prison is awesome!!
I really love plants in cages. Especially plants in tiny cages- means birds won’t be going back into them.
My step mum has a heap of really tiny crappy bird cages (some just tiny and some round and tiny) with plants in.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That's awesome! Also a great way to use old awful (for birds) but adorable cages!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a good use for that cage! The aesthetics are 100% designed to appeal to people and it's a poor choice of cage for birds, so I think you've hit upon the perfect use for it. It get to look pretty with the plants in it and your birds get to enjoy more suitable and more spacious cages.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
That's a good use for that cage! The aesthetics are 100% designed to appeal to people and it's a poor choice of cage for birds, so I think you've hit upon the perfect use for it. It get to look pretty with the plants in it and your birds get to enjoy more suitable and more spacious cages.
Yeah, I bought it before I had the birds and it didn't take long to figure out that they didn't like it. It's really difficult to furnish too! The plants are much happier "residents" :) .