• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plants for my 2 budgies to chew on

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I have two budgies, Dave (male), and Felipe (female), who LOVE to chew on everything. I want to get them something to chew on that’ll be healthy and enriching, and I thought about some kind of houseplant in/near the cage. However, while researching this, I found conflicting information over many of the plants I would like to use. I want to make sure the plants are safe and enjoyable, so does anyone know which ones I should get?

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I've found some of my birds, cockatiels and GCC, liked to chew on Corn Plant (Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana').

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies love basil and lemon grass

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Spider plants, birch bark and anything "grassy" are some of my budgies favorites. I had a nice tillandsia (air plant) and they chopped down all the leaves in no time flat!

Kori

Walking the driveway
I order eucalyptus branches, with the leaves, and Azuki loves it. Fills the house with a nice fragrance too.
You could perhaps try growing chickweed inside. I had thought about one day setting up a hydroponic garden with herbs etc, if everything was safe.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Whatever foliage you decide on make sure if it is still potted and living that your birds can not access the growing material- there are often funguses and molds that grow in plant pots along with other bacteria that can be harmful for your birds.

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I have two budgies, Dave (male), and Felipe (female), who LOVE to chew on everything. I want to get them something to chew on that’ll be healthy and enriching, and I thought about some kind of houseplant in/near the cage. However, while researching this, I found conflicting information over many of the plants I would like to use. I want to make sure the plants are safe and enjoyable, so does anyone know which ones I should get?
To everyone here, thank you very much for the suggestions! I’ll look into getting some of these and let you know how it goes!

chigen123

Strolling the yard
Whatever foliage you decide on make sure if it is still potted and living that your birds can not access the growing material- there are often funguses and molds that grow in plant pots along with other bacteria that can be harmful for your birds.
Thanks for letting me know!
Do you think covering the exposed dirt with small stones or a similar material would solve that?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks for letting me know!
Do you think covering the exposed dirt with small stones or a similar material would solve that?
I can’t say for certain but I’d think it will depend on how thick the layer of stones is and how large they are (if your birds can move the stones it’s no good), the thought of birds foraging in indoor pots makes me uncomfortable enough that I personally won’t offer anything like this. The closest I’ve done to what you want to do is to grow peas in water only and let the vines climb into the budgie cage- water changed at least once a day and not accessible to the bird. I won’t even have potted plants in my home anymore.

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I can’t say for certain but I’d think it will depend on how thick the layer of stones is and how large they are (if your birds can move the stones it’s no good), the thought of birds foraging in indoor pots makes me uncomfortable enough that I personally won’t offer anything like this. The closest I’ve done to what you want to do is to grow peas in water only and let the vines climb into the budgie cage- water changed at least once a day and not accessible to the bird. I won’t even have potted plants in my home anymore.
Thanks for the advice. I wanted to make sure before I put the plant (in the pot) within their reach.

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
I use spider plants for my two Linnies. I scrape out as much of the soil on top as I can without damaging any roots, and replace with clay balls (a growing medium). They then go into the cage, and seat beautifully in the clamp holder for the 5oz stainless steel bowls (or "coop cups"). I keep a few extra plants on a windowsill to rotate through as my girls are both pretty rough on the plants! I find it makes such a big difference to the cage environment, and of course, provides hours of entertainment :laugh:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Organic fresh dandelion greens. So very healthy!