• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plants for finch aviaries

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I have a lot of spider plants and I was thinking about adding some to my aviary, they are the variegated verity. I don't mind if the birds chump them up because I have lots of them. They would add a bit of greenery to the aviary. there is also Golden Pothos I would like to add. A quick google search suggested that those plants are safe however I wanted it confirmed before adding them.

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors

Golden Pothos is toxic.

You might like this list: Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants although it's about dogs, cats and horses. There are lists online with safe aviary plants but I've seen Golden Pothos listed as safe in them. Seems like people just cop and paste without checking data.

Ferns are safe for birds btw, btw just make sure the nursery didn't use pesticides on them.

fluff86

Walking the driveway

Golden Pothos is toxic.

You might like this list: Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants although it's about dogs, cats and horses. There are lists online with safe aviary plants but I've seen Golden Pothos listed as safe in them. Seems like people just cop and paste without checking data.

Ferns are safe for birds btw, btw just make sure the nursery didn't use pesticides on them.
Thats the thing with stuff like that. There is a lot of misinformation out there in google especially when it comes to plants. I have seen people that have golden pothos around there or near there bird cages. I've heard it can cause server digestive issues if eaten by birds but I have also read its perfectly safe for birds others say its toxic so I'm never sure so I wont be using any of that in my bird enclosures.

I've tried growing ferns before but they ended up dying however they may of had root rot when I bought them so I could give it another try. Boston ferns would look nice in my aviary. I'll have a read of that list.

Last edited:

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
A very easy to take care for fern is Phelebodium Blue Star. It even is forgiving you when it goes limp before you water it. A Boston would drop all it's leaves to remind you on the fact it was thirsty ;-)

I agree, I've seen Pothos too on lists as safe but I prefer to err on the safe side like you do.