• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plants for cockatiels?

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
I'm getting the gardening ich again...what can I plant for my cockatiel to nibble on?

Does anyone grow plants for their birds?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m just starting.
Of course,they can decimate a spider plant in no time.

ive been growing wheatgrass and clipping it for them. If it gets thicker I’ll take the whole tray to their room, right now they’d probably get into the dirt. Also have a tray of pea plants that are coming along nicely.

In the hydroponic thingie, I have basil, dill and parsley. I snip leaves and feed to them. This is a hit. I’m thinking hydroponics might be the way to go since there’s no dirt to contend with.

We don’t have a good spot for a garden; rampant bunnies are eating everything.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have chillis, strawberry, lettuces, peas (few different sorts), corn, fresh seed grasses, sunflowers, various fruit trees and other stuff growing for my birds.

None of it they can access themselves though and I’m kinda guessing that is more what you were referring to when you asked about bird safe plants?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
ive been growing wheatgrass and clipping it for them. If it gets thicker I’ll take the whole tray to their room, right now they’d probably get into the dirt. Also have a tray of pea plants that are coming along nicely.

In the hydroponic thingie, I have basil, dill and parsley. I snip leaves and feed to them. This is a hit. I’m thinking hydroponics might be the way to go since there’s no dirt to contend with.
Finchley, Glad to hear the Aerogarden is working out for you. I've been wondering!!

GingerDee, I grow a lot of things outside and inside. Indoors you can do hydroponics for plants like lettuce, kale. You might also try sprouting (see the bird mixes at Sproutpeople for a quick idea), and microgreens. You could grow microgreens of wheat/oats/rye or sunflower or pea or whatever on coir substrate and you could put the container in the cage for them, or cut and add to their dishes.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Finchley, Glad to hear the Aerogarden is working out for you. I've been wondering!!
Well it's been interesting. The basil is in the middle and overshadows the others. I've harvested leaves, shared with the neighbors, fed to birds and family. It also has a stray peppermint plant mingled with it! I need to move that one someplace else.

The dill is only 2 inches tall. The parsley is also small, it had mold on the soil and nearly died but I got it back... it just doesn't really grow.

Still. This has gotten me so addicted to the aerogarden! :D

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just be very careful about giving your birds access to the planters that have soil in them. Planters are rife with aspergillosus.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Just be very careful about giving your birds access to the planters that have soil in them. Planters are rife with aspergillosus.
Didn’t realize!