• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plants... again

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey folks,

I know this is like the third time I've asked but I cannot find the resources you guys had provided. What are some reliable sources for researching what plants are safe for Paulie? I'm specifically wondering about pothos plants. Would it be harmful to him if I keep one potted hanging from the ceiling?

TIA!
Meagan

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Spiders are great bird safe plants, same with Boston (or Sword) ferns. All pothos are toxic from what I’ve read.

Here’s a good list to double check plants before you bring them home.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd put the pothos in another room. They're apparently great for cleaning the air. :)

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Here’s a good list to double check plants before you bring them home.
Thanks so much for the list! I went through it and got a little confused by it so if you could help me clarify four more plants I would greatly appreciate it.
This list says Donkey Tail, Dracanea, Popular, and Purple Passions are not toxic for our p'lets. Is this true? I have plenty of these plants but keep them at my in laws because I always thought they were toxic. Plus, I'm surrounded by popular trees, so if they're safe I'm sure Paulie would love some snippets thrown in his cage...
Thoughts?

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Pothos are toxic, got it!

You guys are so awesome, I don't know what I would do without you! I didn't know spider plants were safe; I love them!

Hubby and I are gonna make some hanging plants for Paulie to have fun with. :cantwait:

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
So we were thinking about putting peat moss on top of the dirt to keep Paulie from getting down into it. Do you guys think this would be a problem?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So we were thinking about putting peat moss on top of the dirt to keep Paulie from getting down into it. Do you guys think this would be a problem?
I tried flat rocks and got bombarded with them for my efforts lol. So right now I have plants only in supervised areas.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
This list says Donkey Tail, Dracanea, Popular, and Purple Passions are not toxic for our p'lets. Is this true?
Popular wood is safe to use, but it’s important that they’ve not been exposed to pesticides.
All the sites I’ve seen say Donkey tail and
Purple Passions are safe. But Dracanea I’d avoid. It can cause toxicity in dogs and cats - and I believe the dracanea palm is actually toxic to birds as well.

Some good reads: Safe woods and toxic plants.
Hope I could help!

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I found this site some time ago.