• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plant Hanger Turned Bird Playground?

BirbMama21

Moving in
Real Name
Hannah
Hey all! I'm an avid DIYer, so I grabbed this at a flea market because I saw it had potential to be an easy and awesome little jungle gym for our baby GCC! However, I know some metals are toxic, so I'm being cautious. It appears to be coated but how do I know if it's actually safe? Magnets do work on it if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What is the coating? Powder coating, plastic or some other paint?

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Its definitely got potential, but I would do my research beforehand. Sorry, I don't have experience with metals and stuff, but I'm sure others can help! :)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could you not cover with vet bandage or twine so your bird cant get at the metal ?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When it comes to metal and birds I definitely would be cautious. Stainless steel is a sure thing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When it comes to metal and birds I definitely would be cautious. Stainless steel is a sure thing.

BirbMama21

Moving in
Real Name
Hannah
Yes I’m trying to be careful so here I am. At the very least it’s heavy which gives me the impression that it’s not an unsafe variety. After some preliminary research on other stands like it it appears they’re primarily made of steel or iron, which we know are fine for birds. My gut says it’s fine I just wanted to throw it out there in case anyone else had experience and knew for sure. :D:geek:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If your bird isn’t likely to chew through vet wrap then there’s a quick easy solution. Covering with tightly wrapped sisal rope is another option.

BirbMama21

Moving in
Real Name
Hannah
If your bird isn’t likely to chew through vet wrap then there’s a quick easy solution. Covering with tightly wrapped sisal rope is another option.
Good idea! I actually had my husband look at it and he’s very sure it’s powder coated steel, which is fine. So if the vet tape gets chewed through I’m not going to feel like I need to rush her to the vet.