• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Planning to home a 4 year old Quaker.

mybirdandi

Moving in
Real Name
Alyssa Brown
I’m planning to home a 4 year old Quaker from an 18 year old who is finishing his final years of high school. He and I have called and discussed the logistics and the profile of the bird. I am wondering and needing assistance with the information I’ve received, what I need to look out for and what to do if he is to be homed with me (an entirely new surrounding for a mature bird)

the guy mentioned:
* Quaker is vocal when left unattended
* will bite new people (given)
* once gets used to someone, won’t display such aggression as biting
* gets fed seeds and supplements and a little pellets (no veggies I am assuming as he didn’t say)
* has been to vet consistently over 3 years but not his 4th year
* has minimal interaction with a love bird
* hand raised

it seems very much like Quaker behaviour so I’m not even a little bit surprised butdo all Quaker owners or rescue owners,
Can I please have some advise on what to do to assimilate the mature Quaker in my home ?
Thanks heaps

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My biggest concern would be having him checked by a veterinarian due to his diet. I say this as quakers are prone to fatty liver disease, and probably the biggest factor in causing this is a diet that is high in seeds.

mybirdandi

Moving in
Real Name
Alyssa Brown
Sounds like a plan. I will ask him if it’s possible before I rehome him. Thanks for the tip