• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Planning An Over Seas Trip

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I'm planning a trip to Thailand next year and want to take Oliver with me. After taking him with me to Puerto Rico last February and seeing how much Oliver enjoyed himself and how happy he was I no longer wish to leave him behind unless it was safer to do so. When he flew to Puero Rico I had to get his Health Certificate and have my therapist fill out the airline's paperwork declaring him an ESA. I also had his vet microchip him. I'm just wondering what else do I need to know to secure a happy and safe trip for the both of us. He is well behaved and flew Delta which allowed Oliver to travel with me outside of his carry on as I held him wrapped in a hand towel. Oliver does not have the ability to fly.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm planning a trip to Thailand next year and want to take Oliver with me. After taking him with me to Puerto Rico last February and seeing how much Oliver enjoyed himself and how happy he was I no longer wish to leave him behind unless it was safer to do so. When he flew to Puero Rico I had to get his Health Certificate and have my therapist fill out the airline's paperwork declaring him an ESA. I also had his vet microchip him. I'm just wondering what else do I need to know to secure a happy and safe trip for the both of us. He is well behaved and flew Delta which allowed Oliver to travel with me outside of his carry on as I held him wrapped in a hand towel. Oliver does not have the ability to fly.
I know nothing about traveling with birds. But I bet everyone here wants to take that flight with you and hold Oliver a little. :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Puerto Rico is an unincorporated US territory, meaning that import/export regulations are much more straightforward if you're coming from the US.

Thailand is a separate country, meaning that your parrot will a) have to fulfil the criteria to be allowed into Thailand and b) fulfil the criteria to be allowed back into the US when you return.

This is the information I can find on the US Thai Embassy's website: » Bringing Pets Into Thailand As they only discuss cats and dogs and there is no mention of parrots, I would contact the embassy and get more information. Bear in mind that a quarantine officer can impound an animal for a 30 day quarantine at their discretion.

This is the information about a US origin pet bird returning from any country other than Canada or Mexico: USDA APHIS | Importing Pet Birds - Returning U.S. Origin - again, you're looking at a 30 day quarantine. I don't know Thailand's current avian flu status; if there's a highly pathogenic strain there, then quarantine has to be in federal facilities. Even if there isn't, you will have to quarantine at home. You will also need a health certificate from a Thai vet. If you're just there on holiday then you may have trouble identifying and making an appointment with a suitable vet and the vet may be reluctant to issue a health certificate for a bird from the US.

I don't know if you've looked at the flight length, but if you're flying from the US you're looking at a flight time of at least 17 hours, more likely 20+ hours. You may also have a stop somewhere, likely Dubai. Depending on the airline, Oliver may have to travel in the hold as cargo rather than in the cabin.

Frankly, I wouldn't dream of taking my bird on such a trip. The flight time alone will be miserable, there's the potential he'll have to go into quarantine, and if anything happens to Oliver in Thailand it's going to be tough to find an avian vet capable of caring for him. Find a good boarding facility for him and book him in, or visit a country that isn't so far away and which has a closer relationship with the US in terms of exporting/importing animals.