• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pistachio & Marzipan move in to their flight cage

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pistachio & Marzipan have moved into their flight cage!

Thanks to a very helpful Lowe's employee, I was able to cut & drill plexiglass to cover the decorative gaps. He helped me learn how to do it without power tools. I think it turned out rather well.

I need to figure out bowls. This cage isn't overly large, but the bowls seem designed for much larger birds. I affixed a third bowl for water. I also have to alter the perch it came with, as it's impossible to slip on. I would like it for in front of the bowls. So there's a bit of a hodge podge down there.

Let me know what you think. :)

Flight Cage.JPG

Budgies 1.JPG

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Spoiled cute birds! :heart:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wow!!! Looks great!!!

Are the bars 1/2 in space? Wonder why those big spaces by the door. Glad you were able to cover it with plexi...great idea.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're between 1/2" & 5/8", except by the doors & gaps. Not sure why.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's worrisome. I'm not sure what to say.

When I researched it said 1/2"-5/8" for budgies. There was even a canary website (Housing) that said 5/8" was good for them, so I thought for sure this would be good for budgies.

I used stainless steel zip ties to narrow the feeder door gaps.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Aww! Adorable budgies!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're usually from the automotive department. I've used them on various projects & they're very strong, but it takes tin shears to cut them, so it's best to make sure they're really where you want them!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's an A&E Elegant Flight Cage. 32"x21"x31" (interior height). I'm not sure why the spacing varies. It says on their website that it's 1/2". Yet most of the panels are not. The box said 5/8".

If it's really meant for bigger birds, I'm just shocked. Seeing these two play in it, I'd say anything much bigger than a budgie would be seriously cramped. Maybe lovebirds would fit... not sure about how their size is compared to budgies.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hopefully it will work. Maybe space is 1/2 inch between bars but center of bar to bar is close to 5/8in.

Not sure why a website says 1/2 inch & box says 5/8 inch. Space

Budgies need the space but its hard to find big cages with feeder doors etc that are 1/2 inch bars.

I've always heard 1/2 in space for budgies. As long as they can't stick there heads out its ok.

Good thing you found a way to deal with all those large gaps. The cage was not designed for budgies.
Just make sure the cut SS zips ends are not sharp. A budgie crawling over them could get cut.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, camelotshadow. The ends aren't cut & I taped them down. Not sure why there's a discrepancy either. Maybe they're phasing out the 1/2" design. The number of gaps was annoying, & they're large - 3/4"!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks, camelotshadow. The ends aren't cut & I taped them down. Not sure why there's a discrepancy either. Maybe they're phasing out the 1/2" design. The number of gaps was annoying, & they're large - 3/4"!
A cage advertised as 5/8 should have no spaces larger than that. I imagine this cage was designed for medium size parrots as are most cages in this size range. Its really hard to find nice big cages with 1/2 inch spacing.