• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Piper needs your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomic081

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a 2 year old Blue fronted Amazon that I have raised from a baby. Last Thursday she got the band on her leg caught on a toy. Luckly I was around at the time and heard the screeching from the other room. It took about 10 min but I finally got her free from the toy. I could tell that her leg was sore and had a small gash, but not enough to cause her to bleed.

She was a little traumatized the day it happened but acted normal went to sleep soon after. Then next day she was fine most of the day until that evening when she started to go CRAZY. She wouldnt stop picking at the wound. I did everything i could but she still picked at it. She even started picking at her other leg and even chewed off a few scales on her good leg. Finally she calmed down and acted normal for the rest of the day.

Saturday Morning She had another crazy moment. She did the same thing for about a hour. Picking at her feet and not paying any attention to anything else but that. kinda neurotic. I called the vet and took her in on Sat Morning. They took off the band thinking that it might be causing pain on the open wound. They also gave me some meds to feed her orally in her food once a day and another med to spray on her 3x a day. I really thought that this would help.

Since Saturday things have only got worse. I wanted to give the meds some time to kick in, but by now I think i should see some results. She is still picking at her legs and now they are even starting to bleed. Im really scared that she is going to cause some long term sociological damage. She acts fine 90% of the day, but she is hurting herself when she has these episodes.

I think i should take her back to a vet to see if they have any other suggestions. Maybe a collar or something else to get her to stop picking at it.

I have tried to spend all my time with her the past few days to calm her down but nothing seems to work. Im really starting to lose hope, i feel like ive tried everything.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes she may need to be collared for a while unfortunately. When wounds start to heal they also itch which "could" be a reason she is picking at it.

Ask the vet about some kind of soothing cream and definitely take her back and consult with your vet.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome, so sorry your Amazon is injured. Is she walking normally and using the leg ok? Did the vet take any x-rays (may not be necessary) ? I would definitely take her back to the vet (or a different one) and have her checked again...a collar may be necessary. I hope she will be alright.

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I agree that a recheck with the vet is in order

what meds did he give you? as has been mentioned, a soothing spray may help while her leg heals

Welcome to the Avenue :)

:hug8:

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
:welcome: to the Avenue. I hope Piper is soon better.

atomic081

Welcome, so sorry your Amazon is injured. Is she walking normally and using the leg ok? Did the vet take any x-rays? I would definitely take her back to the vet (or a different one) and have her checked again...a collar may be necessary. I hope she will be alright.

I can tell that the leg is a little sore, but nothing too bad. She still has a strong grip with it.

The vet did not take xrays, but we were all pretty sure that nothing was broken. Like i said, she acts fine 90% of the day. Its just the 10% that she has these neurotic episodes like ive never seen before. Its almost like the leg is fine, but its all in her head. Thats what worries me the most cause ive heard all the horror stories about parrots with mental problems.

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
I agree that a recheck is needed. I would think about getting a second opinon if you feel that there may be more going on with her. I think she needs a collar just so she can't pick at her leg and make it worse. Good luck and i wil keep her in my thoughts and prayers!:hug8:

atomic081

thanks for all the help. I think that a collar might do alot of good for a while. I also might try to get a 2nd opinion. Anyone know of a good vet in the west suburbs of Chicago?

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Sorry you are going through this. Please keep us posted.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
When my YNA injured his foot/leg years ago I ended up having to eventually collar him. It was heartbreaking at first, but he soon figured out how to play the sympathy card for extra treats. He may have damaged some nerves in his leg and now that it is healing the nerves may be waking back up and giving him a 'pins and needles' sensation which could cause him to start picking on his leg. And as John said, healing wounds tend to itch. Hopefully someone knows of a good avian vet in your area that they can refer you too. Good luck and please keep us posted.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Should the band come off? Maybe she's having panic attacks that it's going to get caught again. I would wash the area with warm water and a mild soap and blow it good and dry to make sure it's clean and non itchy. Then I would put a drop of vitamin E on both legs and rub it in good. I would also do a vet recheck.

Ginger

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I would get another Vet's opinion ASAP Your bird would only be doing that if she is in some kind of pain or discomfort. By getting the right treatment for her early enough you will not be starting off what can become a habit when she is feeling better.
Better to have the second opinion to sort out any problems with damaged nerves etc. Our birds are so intelligent she is telling you by her actions that something is far from right. Good luck and besides giving her lots of love which I know you will be doing, hope you get to the bottom of it very soon and it is sorted. :hug8:

atomic081

we took her to the Vet again today and left her there while I was at School. They put a tube collar on her and it seemed to help she is always very timid around strangers anyway. I picked her up around 5ish after school and we also tried out a cone collar just to see how she took it. IT WAS HORRIBLE. she hated it. all she did was roll around she hit her head on things. almost enough that it could have done damage. So i immediately took off the cone collar and left the tube collar on her. We will see how things go tonight. Im hoping for the best, thing are looking a little brighter but im not even close to getting out of the woods.

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
You've got your hands full! Good that you brought her back in today. I hope the tube collar keeps her calm and that she gets back to herself real soon.
Good vibes coming your way!

Status
Not open for further replies.