• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pip laid her first egg

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
My budgie Pip laid her first egg today, in her food dish. Her and my other budgie Riley who she is bonded to have been mating for the past week or so, but I don't encourage nesting or anything, and do not provide them with nesting areas, as I do not want them to raise a clutch. But today when I was changing out their food I found a small little Pip egg nestled in with the little bit of leftover food. I broke it and tossed it in the trash since I don't want them raising a clutch though. This is her first egg ever, and I'm just wondering if I need to do anything special for her since she will probably lay more, does she need extra calcium or anything? She eats Lafebers pellets, veggies, TOPS seed mix and cooked or sprouted grains so is she getting enough from her current diet? As I said before I'm not encouraging the laying and do not want them to raise a clutch, but it seems as if she is determined to lay even if she doesn't have a suitable place for them. Also, I keep seeing conflicting information on whether or not to replace them with dummy eggs, so should I purchase some dummy eggs in case she continues to lay?

Here is some pictures of her tiny egg before I tossed it out, it's so tiny...
20210517_113428.jpg
20210517_114214.jpg

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Yes, some extra calcium and/or egg food would be helpful. It takes a lot to lay an egg! :)

Isn't it crazy how small the eggs are?!?! and to think that your bird came from one just like that.....

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Yes, some extra calcium and/or egg food would be helpful. It takes a lot to lay an egg! :)

Isn't it crazy how small the eggs are?!?! and to think that your bird came from one just like that.....
Thank you for your response! I'll look into possibly giving her a little bit of egg food, just to boost her calcium. Is it possible to make homemade egg food instead of buying the processed store bought stuff?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Of course you can! I make my own, and there are many recipes you can find online. It's basically just hard boiled eggs and bread crumbs, plus a little (very finely) ground up egg shell! Of course, you can add other things, too, but that's the base of it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You should be fine without anything additional. But being sure to offer the veggies with higher calcium is a good idea. Egg food is another option, not warm moist food though.

As for removing the egg, she should be fine. See how she reacts. If she paces and looks for the egg and you can see distress or she is pecking at the partner, boil the egg and put it back where you found it. I know you said you already threw out this one, but for future just leave it aside somewhere while you observe.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
You should be fine without anything additional. But being sure to offer the veggies with higher calcium is a good idea. Egg food is another option, not warm moist food though.

As for removing the egg, she should be fine. See how she reacts. If she paces and looks for the egg and you can see distress or she is pecking at the partner, boil the egg and put it back where you found it. I know you said you already threw out this one, but for future just leave it aside somewhere while you observe.
Thank you for your reply! I'm keeping a close eye on her, and making sure she isn't looking for the egg or anything. She hasn't laid anymore yet either.