• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus weaning

M.amra

Moving in
Hi everyone!!

I need some help , I hav bought a 4 month old bronze wing pionus and it’s on one feed for the past few days , and it is eating its solid foods as well She barely had her porridge tonight and I am worried why.. is it because she is weaning
Must I just let her eat what she wants?

thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Bumping this cuz it’s been a few days. I hope everything is okay!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Baby birds can be really strange during their weaning process. My baby green wing just decided she wasn't going to eat one day. She picked at pellets and refused hand-feedings all day long. She was very hungry the next morning and more than willing to take whatever I could get into her mouth. It goes in cycles. Some days she will eat very little, some days she will eat a lot. I think it's a good idea to put the little one on a scale and keep track of the weight. There is always some weight loss as the baby transitions from hand feeding to independent eating. It also runs hand in hand with burning off some of the baby weight and building muscle. It isn't a significant amount, but it will fluctuate. As long as the little one is not losing weight every day or experiencing rapid weight loss, I wouldn't worry too much.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Start weighing her, that way you can keep an eye on it :)

i would not worry if it happens once in a while. Much like humans, sometimes they just dont have any hunger. Also, if she eats her solid food, see if she can do without everything else. Start feeding her pellets and chops ;-)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I agree with Brian and Jan. Keep a track of weight and ensure your baby is eating on her own.

You can continue offering formula but don't fret if she isn't eating any, or much of it, as long as she "maintains weight" - using that term loosely since chicks will burn baby fat and lose weight once they stop getting formula.

M.amra

Moving in
Thanks
...And what do y’all think about force weaning , I’m not gonna do it , I’m just asking

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!