• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus Species differences

BuzzBee

Moving in
Real Name
Shawna
Hi all!

I am new to this forum and LOVING it! Thank you all for your in depth contributions :) The "Good, Bad and Ugly" posts have been very helpful in narrowing down my search for a bird species that would fit my family. I am down to a Meyers or a Pionus, but I have not seen much about the differences between the different Pionus species and I noticed the Good, Bad Ugly post is general and there isn't one for each as in most of the other Species Speedway areas. Anyone keen to start some or comment here on White-capped or Bronze Winged and so on? Thanks Loves

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
@tka @zoo mom

My memory is failing me to other pi folks...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
The differences in species are minor :) most Pi’s are generally sweet, self-supporting birds that are not big cuddlers :)

the only big differences are ofcourse their colours. And as with any species, individual birds Have their own charakters and may differ more or less from the average :)

at least, thats what i come to believe after researching the pionus species :) i have 2 maxi’s myself!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
White caps have a reputation for being a little more fiesty than the other species. I think @hrafn had a WCP.

Other than that, I think that the differences between individuals are more significant than differences between species. Some are louder than others, some are more sociable than others, some are more aloof than others. Most pionus are rather independent, observant, sensitive birds. They like being given the time and space to make up their own minds. Like Amazons, they tend to telegraph their moods very clearly - they'll flare their tail feathers, puff up and strut if they're annoyed about something. I think they do better with older children and teenagers - my toddler neice's unpredictable movements and loud noises seem to stress Leia. They can be one-person birds. Leia is happy to sit on my parents and will sometimes step up for my dad if she feels like it, but I'm the only one who can reliably handle her. My girlfriend would dearly love to be friends with her but Leia ignores her.

You can read about Leia, my BW, here: Celebirdy of the Month - March 2020 - Leia!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I have had 2 Blue heads. Both basically fit the Pionus general behavior description. But they were not the same. Olivia (RIP) loved me and tolerated my husband. She was independent and wanted to sit near or on me and would let me know when she wanted attention. Andre loves me but doesn't like my husband. He doesn't go out of his way to attack but if my husband gets too close he postures and will bite him if he doesn't back off. Andre does not like to sit on my and prefers to be 2-3 ft away. However he LOVES to shake hands. He will sit on his perch and raise his foot and say shake.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I agree with @Lincee - differences are minor. I have a WCP and a blue head. The BH can YELL and the WC isn't very loud (she only yells in the evening for a few min though)

My WCP is aloof and a one person bird but that may be due to his past life, the BH was well socialized and wants to be in on things, especially eating my food. Well, come to think of it the wCP eats my food too. Hey! That's not fair.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I've only had Maxis so can't say for the other various sub species but I can definitely agree on the individual personality part.
Nerd was shy, timid, and kept away if he didn't know you. He was my best friend and I was his world. He liked my sister and they had certain things that were only for them but once I got home it was hang out with dad and get scritches and treats as requested. When he left me I got Lurch, a very mad at the world and scared used parrot. He would just suddenly bite without warning and was aggressive but after slowly working with him over 5 years he got closer and closer till I begrudgingly earned his trust and he chose me. He was still a grumpy boy so I avoided him when he was in a mood or learned to be fast. He was finally happy with his lot in life. He escaped in early 2016 and I was given Dobby when Momazon could no longer keep him because she had followed what I went through with Lurch and thought I'd be a good dad for him. He's the most socialized, outgoing, mischievous boy I've ever known. He loves everyone he meets and will always step up when asked. So they all have the usual similarities but each one was their own unique soul.
Nerd spoke wild Pionus and I spoke it back. He had a wild jungle flock call that could wake the dead BUUWEEEEEP!
Lurch could talk, sometimes very clearly, most times like a drunken pirate. He had phrases he already knew and weird foreign sounding words and he was picking up new ones from us.
Dobby loves to say DOBBEE, I'M DOBBY, HI, DOBBY GOOD BOY, etc, usually in my voice however his favorite thing is whistling and noises.
Talking has never been a requirement but it's cool if they choose to seeing how they aren't known for it.
They make very loyal life long friends once they choose you.