• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Pionus Paradise

What bird should I get?

• green-cheeked conure

• Pionus

• Other

• Don’t get a bird… get a reptile!

Results are only viewable after voting.

L0ki

Meeting neighbors
Should I get a pi? Yay or nay.
Hello I am looking for a feathery friend for the first time, and I’ve narrowed it down to some options I can get a blue headed Pionus or a green-cheeked conure. I also have plenty of questions that need answers.

And name suggestions would be amazing.

A646ABF7-9EE2-46F6-9E7B-35D3C9782078.jpeg
what I’m looking for in a feathered companion:
  • male
  • kind
  • introverted/willing to play
  • good with kids
  • ok with Dogs
  • quiet-ish
  • a singer/likes music

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So, a lot of those things can't be answered by species. It depends on the bird. Except "male" obviously. I would say from what I know, Pis are quieter than conures but I don't actually own either. Kind, introverted, willing to play, good with kids, likes music and okay with dogs is really up to the bird. And the kids. Some kids are not good with birds. Some dogs are not good with birds. No dog should interact directly with a bird. I don't think either of those species are really "singers".

I think you really need to keep in mind that birds are individuals. There are no guarantees that any bird is going to be a particular way. For instance, I can say generally male cockatiels are good whistlers and can learn tunes. Neither of my male cockatiels are really good whistlers. I think the best way to decide on a bird is to meet them.

L0ki

Meeting neighbors
So, a lot of those things can't be answered by species. It depends on the bird. Except "male" obviously. I would say from what I know, Pis are quieter than conures but I don't actually own either. Kind, introverted, willing to play, good with kids, likes music and okay with dogs is really up to the bird. And the kids. Some kids are not good with birds. Some dogs are not good with birds. No dog should interact directly with a bird. I don't think either of those species are really "singers".

I think you really need to keep in mind that birds are individuals. There are no guarantees that any bird is going to be a particular way. For instance, I can say generally male cockatiels are good whistlers and can learn tunes. Neither of my male cockatiels are really good whistlers. I think the best way to decide on a bird is to meet them.
Thanks I tend to forget that just like people everyone’s different

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks I tend to forget that just like people everyone’s different
If you can, try to meet some birds. I think direct interation is the best way to determine what you like. For instance, I think Canary Winged Parakeets are so much fun. A volunteer at the rescue that I help with cannot stand the sound of their chirps - at all. Will not foster one. But he fosters a Moluccan cockatoo whose scream is almost as many decibels as a jet airplane. I personally never thought I would have a cockatoo. From everything I had read, I didn't think they were the bird for me. I met one and adopted him. And am fostering a second. So, sometimes what you think you want and what you actually want are not the same thing.

Reactions: tka

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
My vote is for cockatiel. They are more likrey to fit the requirements you listed. Definitely don't go with a GCC if you want a quiet bird. :laughing6:
Conures are not singers at all, they are screechers! Lol. Constant yelling with those guys. I really think you should look into cockatiels. They can be better with kids as well and they are much better at singing/being quieter.

Edit: I agree with sunnysmom that while male cockatiels are considered to generally be good whistlers, not all of them will be. My cockatiel whistles a lot but he isn't really good at singing particular songs I try to teach him, he usually just makes up his own little songs. He does like to dance and listen to music though!

Last edited: