• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pionus or love bird ?

Saša

Sitting on the front steps
Hi there! I am looking for a bird- i had 2 birds back when i was younger first bird was a cocktail and then i had 2 budgies...
I live in a apartment, i go to school and i am 6-8 hours away from home depending on the day, i have done a lot of reasherch on birds- i will have a big cage and lots of toys that im gonna rotate plus im gonna free flight train my bird etc.. i have a dog that is very tolerant and i am able to teach him to act good around my bird- when im not gonna be home they will be in seperet rooms in case if something would happen.I will let my bird out to fly around my apartment every day for at least 2hours. i can NOT have a loud bird, i can handle few loud "skreems" but the bird has to be on a quieter side :) also i can NOT have a big bird bc then i could not have the propper cage for him. Im also gonna have just one bird and maybe later i will get a friend for him - i want to bond with my bird and spent as much time with him as possible and it would be amazing if i could cuddle and pet my bird but if he would not like it im not gonna be upset.

i am choosing between the pionus or love bird i love both of them but i can't choose! i would really appreciate if you would help me to pick one and give me some tips too :)
if you would have any other birds that will suit me i will be more then happy /exept budgies,cocktails,large,really loud and noisy birds/

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anytime someone has a list of “needs” in a bird, I always tell them to go meet and adopt an adult. Adult birds have the benefit of having a fairly established personality and you’ll most often be able to see their likes and dislikes. You’ll know if they have the tendency to be a loud or a quiet bird.
Buying a baby bird is always a crapshoot in the dark. You might get one that is pretty much within the parameters you need as an adult, or you really might not. Lovebirds and Pionus are two very different birds. Might I ask why you’ve harkened a liking to those two?

Saša

Anytime someone has a list of “needs” in a bird, I always tell them to go meet and adopt an adult. Adult birds have the benefit of having a fairly established personality and you’ll most often be able to see their likes and dislikes. You’ll know if they have the tendency to be a loud or a quiet bird.
Buying a baby bird is always a crapshoot in the dark. You might get one that is pretty much within the parameters you need as an adult, or you really might not. Lovebirds and Pionus are two very different birds. Might I ask why you’ve harkened a liking to those two?
unfortunately i am not able to adopt birds -we dont have bird rescues here in slovakia u know... so that is why i am looking for a specific breed and then im gonna ask the breeder about the loudnes of the bird
and why those breeds you ask? in love birds their small but have a big personality i really like them and bunch of other reasons it is basically the same with pionus pionus is bigger witch i like bc i dont really want those little birds if i can have a bigger bird that fits me you know? they're a little more independent then love birds and can be couch potatoes too i adore their personality and i did tons more reasherch and i think that they're the right fit for me actually.. only down side is that when they scream it is really really loud but i think if im gonna train it properly and give it the attention that it needs im gonna be fine

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

i am choosing between the pionus or love bird i love both of them but i can't choose! i would really appreciate if you would help me to pick one and give me some tips too
I have 7 lovebirds, and no two have the same personality.
I suppose the closest two would be my eldest male, Sydney, and my youngest hen, Adelie, they are a couple and both are pretty quiet, love hanging out with me, playing, but the male likes scritches, and her not so much.
Both spent a lot of time with me one-on-one as youngsters. Sydney was my first bird for a long time. He was the ¨perfect¨ lovebird everyone is looking for. Happy, playful, quiet, snuggly, friendly, social, not bitey. He was just a little angel, still is. But the day came where I felt he needed a friend. I just never did care for having single small birds when getting them a friend is so easy (not like getting a second cockatoo or macaw).

If you have had birds before and know a little how to handle a bird, then a lovebird is a great option.
Can they be loud, yes, but so can all birds.
Can they be nippy, yes, but so can all birds.
Can they be completely unapproachable when hormonal, yes,.....
on so on and so forth.

Have a read up online, ask other folks what their lovebirds are like.

Remember, no matter which bird you choose, go into it with an ¨I´ll accept whatever personality I get¨ attitude :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bear in mind that Pionus can live well into their thirties. Do you have any idea of what your life is going to look like in 30 years time? School is probably the most predictable part of your life. You have no idea what your future holds - job, working hours, a partner, children, where you're going to live and so on. Perhaps there will be periods of instability, like relationship breakups and unemployment. Having a parrot to care for is like having a small child to look after; they need several hours of interaction and care every day and you cannot skip this. It is extraordinarily difficult for a young person to maintain this level of care amidst all the things that young adulthood throws at you. I strongly recommend waiting until you have finished your education and have some kind of stable job.

Showering attention on a bird so it doesn't scream is going to cause big, big problems if your circumstances change and you can't give it the attention that it's used to. I think you need to do some further research on parrot behaviour.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you have a Pionus breeder near you, then you’ll have adult Pionus available to go meet. And a good breeder might have some former babies they’ve sold that have had to come back to them. Pionus aren’t for everyone. Some people love their quirks! others, not so much. I have had several Pionus that were not independent and not confident birds. They were nervous, destructive birds. Two, a bronze and a white, were feather mutilators. Many people always think that the species itself is laid back “couch potatoes” like you mentioned. But that’s not always the case. Which is why I strongly suggest an adult.

Gigibirds

Personally, I would suggest a lovebird. They are small, sweet, and they are a great choice for one of your first birds. If you have only had smaller birds so far, then a lovebird should fit right in. I have had so many of them, and I love them all. If possible, however, I would recommend that you look around until you find one that is tame or hand-raised. I know that that might be really hard to find, but it will help with the taming process so much! Also, just watching a lovebird play in his/her cage is so fun! They are really lovely little birds :)

(For all of that bonding that you want to do with it, though, I would suggest a parrotlet instead. But, they are usually very hard to find. However, if you can find one, I would totally suggest them! They are like a small version of a lovebird, but a bit more nippy, a bit more cuddly, a bit smaller, a bit funnier, a bit quieter, and a TON more sassy! :roflmao: I currently have one 3 year old female and she is the sweetest bird I have ever had the pleasure of owning! Although she is very opinionated!)

Saša

hey there guys, just wanted to thank u for your tips etc.. I talked to a breeder and we both agree that the senegal parrot will be best for me - unfortunately there arent any pionus parrots here in Slovakia... the breeder is experienced and he gave me a lot of tips for my future bird, he cares a lot about his parrots im just really satisfied with him
im gonna have a male senegal parrot that is gonna be hand fed and he is gonna pick the quietest out of all males only down side is that i have to wait like 7months but im gonna have plenty of time for more reasherch and everything :)

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are lots of sennies on this forum!
Waiting isn’t a bad thing, it will give you much more time to get prepared and do research! And while Senegal’s arent my favorite, they’re very popular for a reason!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Good luck. I do find the poicephalus species to be generally quieter than the other two you first mentioned.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
If I had to choose one, I would say Pionus, lovebirds tend to turn into one person birds or be nippy. Pionus' are generally are less loud than lovebirds. Also, Pionuses are known to be gentle.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I had to choose one, I would say Pionus, lovebirds tend to turn into one person birds or be nippy. Pionus' are generally are less loud than lovebirds. Also, Pionuses are known to be gentle.
You've never met a Pionus, have you?

I really hate that they've got this reputation of being "easy" birds. In the right home with someone who understands that they're similar to Amazons and that they have their own particular type of spiciness. They do tend to be thoughtful; they like to be able to consider a new situation or person and make up their own minds. They do not like to be rushed or forced. If you try to pressure a Pionus into doing something they don't want to do, you're asking to get chomped. They need space - Leia's cage is 40x30 inches so certainly not something that will fit into a room without some rearrangement of furniture.

They're a medium sized parrot - they can be loud when they want. Leia makes my ears ring with her yells. I've just had an hour of on-and-off screaming because my partner and I had a video chat with some friends.

They can be intensely one person birds; they may well choose a favourite person and ignore or strike at everyone else. Leia will politely ignore others unless they get in her face. She will sometimes step up for my parents, but only if I'm not around. My partner has lived with us for a year and Leia will accept treats gently from her, but won't step up for her. She is curious about children but does not want to interact with them.

A well-mannered Pionus who has learnt that their warnings will be respected will give you lots of warnings when they're feeling upset, but their bites will absolutely draw blood if they decide that you deserve it. Male Pionus in the breeding season can be pretty full on and hormonal. Again, you're basically dealing with a small Amazon.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you owned/own both?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about a pair of budgies? They'll be able to while away the hours you're at school together. Having had them, you know how awesome they are! And with a little clever cage placement, you shouldn't have to worry about screaming adversely affecting neighbours. tka is right that your life is less predictable at this stage, so their shorter lifespan may also suit you well at this time.

:budgie::budgie2:

Saša

What about a pair of budgies? They'll be able to while away the hours you're at school together. Having had them, you know how awesome they are! And with a little clever cage placement, you shouldn't have to worry about screaming adversely affecting neighbours. tka is right that your life is less predictable at this stage, so their shorter lifespan may also suit you well at this time.

:budgie::budgie2:
I have been thinking about budgies as well but i would want something bigger you know, also i want a single parrot so that i can bond with him and cuddle with him while watching a movie :) and after contacting few breeders we found out that the senegal parrot will be the best for me!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have been thinking about budgies as well but i would want something bigger you know, also i want a single parrot so that i can bond with him and cuddle with him while watching a movie :) and after contacting few breeders we found out that the senegal parrot will be the best for me!
I just hope that you’re aware that absolutely no breeder can guarantee you a bird that will cuddle with you during a movie and have an intense bond with you. Birds are not like dogs and cats in the regard. I don’t wish to discourage you from bird ownership, but I like people realistic so that they don’t give up their birds later on. There is nothing magical about Senegals. They’re not more “lovey” or more cuddly. They are not more prone to being bonded to humans. Any breeder who has told you such garbage is lying. And I know birds are hard to come by in your country, but that doesn’t change the facts.

Saša

I just hope that you’re aware that absolutely no breeder can guarantee you a bird that will cuddle with you during a movie and have an intense bond with you. Birds are not like dogs and cats in the regard. I don’t wish to discourage you from bird ownership, but I like people realistic so that they don’t give up their birds later on. There is nothing magical about Senegals. They’re not more “lovey” or more cuddly. They are not more prone to being bonded to humans. Any breeder who has told you such garbage is lying. And I know birds are hard to come by in your country, but that doesn’t change the facts.
Yes i absolutely know that not all birds are like that! It is my fault i could have wrote that in some other way i just wanted to say that budgies aren't big enough for me and that i want a bigger bird ... I am aware of all things that could go wrong and those about bonding as well