• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus Or Illigers Macaw

kylohen22

Moving in
Hi, ive recently been wanted to add a new bird to my flock. ive previosly owned cockatiels and am very close to people who own cockatoos and very often care for them.
ive been researching Pionus and Illigers Macaws and some other mini macaws and dont know what is best.
i would perfer a bird that is quieter but i do understand all birds are capable of noise.
i would also like a bird that likes to cuddle and be pet.
i currently am attending college from home and will have time to spend with any bird if i do purchase.
Thanks in advance

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! You are, quite frankly, looking at fairly polar opposite species. The Illiger's macaw has a very high pitched, and, when they want to be, very loud call. The pionus are not known to be so loud, but can be loud themselves (not as loud as the macaw however). Also, you said "likes to cuddle". Just so you know, "cuddling" with a parrot can cause many behavioral issues that will last for years, and sometimes never dissipate entirely.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My Illigers macaw is not very quiet. When it’s just me in the house he is babbling quietly, sound effects and talking but when my partner is home he is very loud. He is very high energy, gets into everything. Very much one person bird, but we are working on that and he is getting better. No cuddling, ever. He does play very rarely where I kind of scratch his head but it’s more like wrestling with him nibbling my fingers and him scratching his head. I can touch his cheek patches and beak though during those times which is the best.
He is a very funny, but nippy guy. His temper is great, when he doesn’t like something, he lets you know very clearly in voice and body language and with his beak if he has too. I love that, not a laid back bird.
What about my boy is typical and what is not I don’t know. I think almost all of them will be high energy. From what I know pionus are more likely to ride on your shoulder when your do dishes where as an Illigers would be throwing your glasses over the counter and trying the jump in the water. Hope that gives and idea and I hope more pionus (and mini macaw) people chime on to add their experiences.
but I think in general male Illigers tend not to cuddle a lot/at all as adults. Females the odds are a little higher but I wouldn’t bet on it. I know of 1 7-year old male that allows scratches sometimes, all others that I know enjoy cuddling are under 3 years old so what happens when they mature is still uncertain.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Illigers macaw is not very quiet. When it’s just me in the house he is babbling quietly, sound effects and talking but when my partner is home he is very loud. He is very high energy, gets into everything. Very much one person bird, but we are working on that and he is getting better. No cuddling, ever. He does play very rarely where I kind of scratch his head but it’s more like wrestling with him nibbling my fingers and him scratching his head. I can touch his cheek patches and beak though during those times which is the best.
He is a very funny, but nippy guy. His temper is great, when he doesn’t like something, he lets you know very clearly in voice and body language and with his beak if he has too. I love that, not a laid back bird.
What about my boy is typical and what is not I don’t know. I think almost all of them will be high energy. From what I know pionus are more likely to ride on your shoulder when your do dishes where as an Illigers would be throwing your glasses over the counter and trying the jump in the water. Hope that gives and idea and I hope more pionus (and mini macaw) people chime on to add their experiences.
but I think in general male Illigers tend not to cuddle a lot/at all as adults. Females the odds are a little higher but I wouldn’t bet on it. I know of 1 7-year old male that allows scratches sometimes, all others that I know enjoy cuddling are under 3 years old so what happens when they mature is still uncertain.
Just thinking about you :heart:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I haven’t had an iligers macaw though my sister did. This is a demanding bird that can be very loud.

I have had cuddly Pionus but the cuddly did go along with mating solicitation, honking, etc.

I consider Pionus to be vocally quieter as well as more mild mannered than many birds.

I would encourage you to try to meet some of these birds in person at shops, rescues, bird shows so you get a better idea of their personality and upkeep. I think tiels and Pionus are both mild tempered birds, so in that way they are comparable.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Kobe is a male Blue-headed Pionus. I think you’ll find that most babies don’t mind being cuddled, but as they grow up it is not something to recommend for the reasons expressmailtome posted.

Pionus in general are not usually cuddle bugs. Kobe certainly follows me around and likes to hang out with me. He will sit on my shoulder for a short time (not ideal as when hormonal he bites HARD) - I can predict the times it’s ok to have him on my shoulder. He sits on my knee every evening to watch TV and I stroke his head then. He is not as energetic as some of the Amazons, but can play hard if the mood takes him.

He’s pretty feisty in breeding time - I actually find all the Amazons (I live with 3) easier to deal with. He’s very territorial which can be dangerous. But I love him and he’s intelligent and a lot of fun too.

When teaching him behaviours like stepping up, going into a travel cage, etc I have to think outside the box as he doesn’t usually work for treats. I use praise/attention/taking him to the window to see what’s outside etc as reinforcing consequences for behaviours I want to see more of.

He is mostly extremely quiet but can be loud if he wants to, especially when I’m taking the covers off all the Amazons in the morning. If unhappy he’ll make a microwave beep noise… not loud, but the repetition drives me crazy! :mad2:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
You know, bird sellers promote this species saying pionus never bites! :nocomment:
Yes - they say Pionus are good with children! I would never trust Kobe with children. He attacks my brother who’s 6’5”! So when he comes to visit, I have to make sure Kobe is caged.

If you want an easy, but not quiet, life go for an Orange-winged Amazon. The two I’ve had/have been the nicest of birds. Such great fun too with their antics. The two I’ve had have been so gentle. I kissed/kiss them often. I kiss Kobe too but only at certain times of the day!:laugh:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes - they say Pionus are good with children! I would never trust Kobe with children. He attacks my brother who’s 6’5”! So when he comes to visit, I have to make sure Kobe is caged.

If you want an easy, but not quiet, life go for an Orange-winged Amazon. The two I’ve had/have been the nicest of birds. Such great fun too with their antics. The two I’ve had have been so gentle. I kissed/kiss them often. I kiss Kobe too but only at certain times of the day!:laugh:
Can't agree more with you! OWA are THE BEST. I won't trade my inca for anything, he's such an angel. Yes, he is LOUD, but so am I.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird would very gently preen my eye lashes, lids, and eye brows, I could pretty much trust him to be loving and gentle unless it was my toes, he hated toes.
Lurch would have taken my eye out if I tried that and he would bite without warning till we reached a understanding with each other and he grew to trust me over time.
Dobby is gentle and refuses to bite here though I've been assured by Momazon he can and will bite.
They all are their own souls and personality with similarities and they all were/are Maxi Pionus parrots.
Fuzzy wrote a good article about them and Kobe seems like a combo of Lurch and Dobby :xflove:

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Honestly I doubt that you will find a bird that fits all of your qualifications. As the others have said, having a "cuddly" bird is not ideal because it causes a lot of hormonal and behavioral issues. If you require a quiet bird, you might want to look at smaller parrot species. You said you have had cockatiels before. What was your experience with cockatiels like? I feel like a cockatiel or similarly sized Australian parrot may be the most likely to fit your qualifications of being very social but also quieter. What exactly draws you to the pionus and mini-macaws?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would also consider if you can find either species around you. They are not the most common types of birds. I of course would encourage you to consider adoption but those species are going to be harder to find at a rescue too- but not impossible.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would also consider if you can find either species around you. They are not the most common types of birds. I of course would encourage you to consider adoption but those species are going to be harder to find at a rescue too- but not impossible.
Very true, Michelle. I found my hahns after three years of search! And no news of any illigers!