• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus motivation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krissa

Sprinting down the street
I am ready to start clicker training my Maximilian Pionus, Loki BUT I am having trouble finding his motivation. I got him mid-August, he was hatched this spring. I was hoping to 'load' the clicker tomorrow but I can't figure out what he likes. He is so unlike any other animal I have worked with. All of my other pets are very energetic, Loki is so calm and zen.

My dog just wants cheese or a ball, the rabbits would kill for banana. But Loki is being a mystery.

I was wondering what others have been using with their Pionus.

I tried pine nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, head scratches (a definite no no). I can't figure out if he has a favorite fruit or veggie. Should I try chopping up some peanuts or almonds into small pieces? What has worked for everyone else? Maybe I am just misreading him and he is just so low-key that he really does like some of my offerings?

I hope to get him to trust me more through the training and to learn more about him.
My short term goal - targeting, nail clipping, touching for vet exam, going into carrier, and harness
Long term goal - tricks and flight recall

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
My Max will do most anything for an almond. He is a feisty white cap though. Zen like is not something I would use to describe Max. I am taking a clicker training lesson on Saturday.

Lexii

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexis
When you offer something does he take it or just ignore you handing it to him?
I'd just use whatever he will take and eat.

I have never tried to clicker train, but Sage will eat ANYTHING I put in a dish. She never sits still and doesn't like to take food from my hand, so she knows that "good stuff" goes in a bowl. :p
So if I were to attempt it, I would set a dish next to her and drop her piece of treat in a dish every time I clicked the clicker. I'm not sure if that would help you and Loki though.

I hope your training with him starts to progress! :D

Krissa

Thanks. Maybe I'm just expecting too much enthusiasm from him. He does take the pine nuts, sunflower, and pumpkin but he will only take one. I'll just sit with him tomorrow and load the clicker and see what happens.

I'll start with the sunflower since I went out and purchase some special today to try to entice him.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
At first Max would not take any treats from my hand. I learned to put it on my flat hand rather than offer it between my fingers. He prefers to take food from the dish. But at least now he will take it from my flat hand which helps with training. Max is a bit of a foodie in that he will turn his beak up at certain treats that do not meet his standards. He is more particular about treats than food in his bowl. He has thrown treat to the ground in disappointment if he has completed training but doesnt not like the treat offered to him.

Last edited:

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Rowan works for banana chips. :)

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Krissa, what treat ended up working? Did you try safflower seeds or walnut pieces.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Tiki loves almonds and likes Nutriberries. I think those are the only things she will take from my hand. Maybe a peanut but I don't give her many.

starla21

Jogging around the block
I have no experience with clicker training. Kaeli does't really get excited about food treats so I don't use it much as a reward. I think she would rather hear me tell her how good she is in a high voice and give her a snuggle....sounds strange but true. :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Also, break the treats into smaller pieces so that they can eat them fast. Some birds can fill up really fast. With Iris, my Pionus, I use sunflower seeds for training. She doesn't like them to be handed to her with my fingers, but prefers my hand to be flat so that she can pick it up herself.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Krissa I don't think I've seen it mentioned but you might not want to leave seed in the cage at night you want them to be hungry when you train them. This will also make it easier for them to show you what they like for treats. But it will take experimentation but that's the way it is with all pio's :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Andre will do anything for a piece of seedless green grape, nutriberries or pistachio.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I feel your pain! I am having the same issues with Pancho. He really only will eat apples out of my hand, and I get all sticky and icky when trying to train him! Plus apple pieces turn brown so fast it is hard to do. I have not tried sunflower seeds, since they are not good for him, but maybe just a few wouldn't be so bad.

Krissa

I ended up using the sunflower seeds and pine nuts. I mostly have the hubby give Loki the pine nuts because I'm trying to get them to get along.

Status
Not open for further replies.