• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus hasn't left cage

shelby.pax

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Shelby
I recently adopted a 7 year old blue-headed pionus. It's been a week and he hasn't left his cage once despite the cage door being open all day. I have put his bowls just outside of his cage so he can reach them from within the cage while encouraging him to leave the cage, I try to see if I can teach him to step up, and I try to spend time with him. He was very open to me preening his pin feathers and giving scritches the first couple of days but now he won't have any of it, he climbs to the back of his cage or gently grabs my finger with his beak and moves it away from him.

I love the guy, he makes cute sounds and is very gentle but I'm unsure whether he is not leaving the cage due to being rehomed, scared of me, or if he is just not that interested in leaving his cage. Has anybody experienced this sort of behaviour with their pionus?

The previous owner mentioned he was the friendliest pionus he had. He also mentioned that he was bred by reputable breeders and hand-fed as well.

I think one of the issues is that my frame of reference is my last parrot. He was a GCC who was sitting on my shoulder the first day I got him, loved hanging out with me all day, and never wanted to be in his cage since it meant less time with me.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Jan i think that it could just be due to the change and him trying to get used to his new surroundings, especially since the rest of his behavior seems fine. A lot of birds will take some time to adjust to a new place even if they are familiar with the person

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@zoo mom @Dartman . I'd let him come out at his own pace,I've read that they can be a very shy species so he may just take a bit of time to be willing to leave the safety of his cage.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They watch their surroundings and figure things out and whether they feel safe to come out. He's probably just not fully comfortable yet with his new place and is hanging back till he is. Lurch did similar for a while, and when he did come out he was mad at the world for a while so had to be careful. Dobby was a super happy well adjusted and socialized Maxi so he was out and on me with no getting agressive and wanting to bite. Nerd was a very shy creature so he always hung back when someone new showed up till he decided they were safe to be around.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I agree with @Dartman . Pionus like to view their surroundings and watch what is going on before they decide if they are safe. I would put his food and water bowls back in the cage. Put a perch on the door so when the door is open it is outside the cage. Put a treat cup near the perch. Drop in a treat and just move a way. Talk and sing to him, read to him and sit with him. It may take weeks or months for him to get comfortable enough to come out. A lot may depend on what he has experienced in the past, or his personality.

What is his name.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Sounds like a normal pi not used to the area. I have 2 that came to me as older birds and would prefer to be taken out of cage (if in the mood) than to come out by themselves. The cage is where they feel the most secure and coming out means anything can happen. Will take time

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agreed with the other pionus people. Pionus like to observe before making their mind up about anything new and unfamiliar - a toy, a person, a food, an environment. Things go badly if you push them into something because they're ready.

The appreciate patience, their own independence and being given the opportunity to make their own decisions. Sure, you can force your bird out of his cage, but he won't trust you for it and it will damage your relationship with him. There's no harm in opening the door and letting him decide whether or not he wants to come out; it might means a few days of not having out of cage time, but he will feel so much better for being able to make his own decision about when to come out. A perch on the door of the cage seems to help coax them out because it's a nice place to sit and observe.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch when he finally decided to come out sat on the door, then went to the top, then got curious about me and would get on a kitchen chair close to me, and I would move it closer, then onto my chair, then onto me. Of course something would trigger him and he'd bite, so had be careful and read his mood or be fast. It slowly branched out and he allowed more and more as I earned his trust, but biting was a feature, not a bug with him so he'd still get triggered or be in a mood but he got better and more loving as it went and he was truly happy. I had to earn everything I got with him and like I said it was worth it.

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
How is the new dude doing Shelby? Has he settled in and started being more outgoing yet?