• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus Chirping

PionusAva

Moving in
Hello all!

I have recently adopted a Pionus Maximillian girl, about 2 years old we think, from a home where she could no longer stay. She wasnt treated poorly, but the person had too many animals and wanted to get rid of some. This is my first bird, and I tried to prepare and study as much as possible before she was re-located here. She was very scared when she arrived, but she is making progress everyday and I'm so proud of her!

However, at the moment she is chirping very much. I don't mind this at all, I think it's cute. But reading up on the species, everyone says that the Pionus is so, so quiet. I'm still new to her language, so I dont know what this chirping means. Is this normal? Is she unhappy?

She doesnt seem to be in any distress otherwise. She doesnt play with her toys, as she is still pretty scared. So maybe she is bored and is trying to entertain herself?

So, my question is: is chirping normal behaviour for a Pionus bird?

Thank you!

(Sorry for grammar, english is not my first language)

Best regards/ Isabelle

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They chirp, gurgle, scream, kack, depending on the bird and their mood. Kacking usually happens when they are very mad or upset. Screaming when they are scared or trying to alarm call, chirping and gurgling to themselves when they are reasonably content and just commenting to themselves. You give her some time to watch and figure out her new flock and she'll come around with time. Eventually or possibly quickly depending on her personality she'll decide your trustworthy and a friend. However they pick who they pick so work gently and patiently with her and she'll probably pick you has her chosen one. Here's to many happy years together.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Welcome! Like you, i recently rescued two Maxi’s, and i can tell you, they chirp!

”quiet” is relative to other parrots ;-) i had an Amazon ad 2 Senegals.. and i can tell you, these pionus chrips are definatly quiet compared to the other bird’s chirps!

So i would not worry much :) do you have pictures to share?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're quiet in comparison to other parrots, but are by no means silent. Expect chirps, clucks, beeps, mutters, mumbles and similar. It's totally normal.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Ava is wonderful! She is so lucky to end up with you! And you earned much respect from the people here for reaching out when you have questions, instead of pretending you know it all!

I hope we will see many pictures of Ava :heart:

see my threads, i recently rescued 2 maxi’s as well, in many ways we can compare notes of the journey for the next months :)

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
She is so cute! Wonderful that she's getting more outgoing :)