• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~*~*Pionus check in*~*~

Dani

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Leza, where is Odin and Loki? You're not off the hook! :D

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Leza, where is Odin and Loki? You're not off the hook! :D
:ashamed3:

ok you twisted my arm!!! :D

just a couple shower pictures, only thing i've managed to do lately. :sleeping3:

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

weeee!
IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

oooh! and loki trying to talk :p

[video=youtube_share;Td_aFDaF854]http://youtu.be/Td_aFDaF854[/video]

and old one, but still cute none the less. odin dancing :D

[video=youtube_share;hgDtyESJze4]http://youtu.be/hgDtyESJze4[/video]

Dani

Avenue Veteran
So CUTE!!! They are beautiful!!! I loved the videos too :heart: You have an awesome flock! :) How old are they and how did you end up being owned by two BW's?

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Odin is 2.5, she came from my work, and I hand fed her from 2 months. Loki is 1.5 and he was a CL rescue. I never intended on getting another, it was just really rare to see one on CL in our area, so I went to visit just to see if we hit it off. His conditions were horrible and I couldn't leave him there.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I guess I should let little Wyatt join the crew! :D

He is a 3.5 month old Maximillian, the youngest of 3 boys(really neat to have a clutch of all brothers!) When he was 2 weeks old he had an accident(of his own doing) and snapped the bottom of his beak in half. He got really lucky with the break, and still maintains the integrity of the jaw, and only lost the middle area. The sides are still intact. He is a joy to have around, and very ACTIVE! he loves flapping his little wings, and building his muscles up. He loves to run around on top of his cage. He has taken a nice liking to paper rope toys, and pony beads. I am so attached to my baby, and it has only been a few weeks!! :o: :heart:

DSCF2098.jpg

the break.
DSCF2114.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Wyatt is beautiful and very lucky to have you! I am glad that he is doing so well!

Matt

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
!!!PICA!!!

My blue-headed pie arrived at the airport @ midnight last night!! A week later than I
expected and a little later in the day than I hoped, but SHE'S HERE!!!!
She's 2 yrs old.She's the runt of the litter (just like I like'em) so the smallest of the clutch, and the shyest as well...She has several feathers missing in the back of her head...she was caged up with a Conure that wouldn't stop the lovin' I guess, hehe, but that's alright, I love special cases...I've been told Im one myself, hehe.
She's a little stressed today of course so she's not up too any paparazzi pics and or any video intervues...YET... She's still hasn't eaten today, but she's getting a bit of rest as we speak...So I'll be keeping a close eye on her this week, and once she's up to it, I'll share the pics!!

-H-
:bhp:

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
When he was 2 weeks old he had an accident(of his own doing) and snapped the bottom of his beak in half. He got really lucky with the break, and still maintains the integrity of the jaw, and only lost the middle area. The sides are still intact. He is a joy to have around, and very ACTIVE! he loves flapping his little wings, and building his muscles up. He loves to run around on top of his cage. He has taken a nice liking to paper rope toys, and pony beads. I am so attached to my baby, and it has only been a few weeks!! :o: :heart:

View attachment 81188

the break.
View attachment 81189
Don't give up hope that the beak might regrow. When I adopted Zuma, he was so hypocalcemic that he was actually experiencing neurological issues, and when the vet put the speculum in his mouth to take a choanal swab, the sides of his beak broke off so his lower mandible was U-shaped. It took a few months of a good diet and full-spectrum lighting, but the beak did eventually grow back completely. You'd never guess to look at him that it was ever abnormal.

I know you want to be careful about calcium supplementation in Pi's since that's one of the things that can cause gout, but perhaps just giving him some calcium-rich veggies and plenty of UVA/UVB light will be enough to help him regrow that portion of his beak. I know it's less likely since it's already been a few months since the accident, but you never know! Stranger things have happened!

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I do hope it will grow back and many people have tossed a prosthesis idea my way or even working with a dentist, but he does well enough as is. I think he will be ok. Full spectrum lighting good... diet ok.. he is good with sweet potatoes and any fresh foods he's given, just regressed on pellets. I have been experiementing with every pellet and every way of presenting them under the sun :faint:

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Sure, birds adapt remarkably well to disabilities. With or without beak regrowth, I'm sure he'll do just fine. I would imagine that pellets are less pleasant for him because it's more difficult for him to grind them with just one side of his lower mandible. Have you tried soaking them first? But also, you can give him an excellent diet without the use of pellets. I can't give my Ekkies any kind of pellet or they will wing flip and toe tap, so I make what I call a chop'n'freeze for all of my birds, and that is the majority of their diet. They only get Phoenix Foraging's UnPellet and occasionally some Goldenfeast South American Blend in their foraging toys, whereas the other birds get that plus Harrison's, TOPS, and an organic seed mix. Anyway, I showed my recipe for chop'n'freeze to two different avian vets, and both of them approved of it as a complete/majority diet for my birds. If you'd like, I can send you the recipe.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
That would be great :) since I only have to supplement fresh foods for everyone else and its more snack blends than a whole diet, I am always concerned he's not getting enough. I did try soaking and he totally ignores it. Only one I haven't tried soaking yet is roudybush.

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
I have a blue headed pionus hes a rehome and hes around 5 ish now. i got him about a year ago he was pretty awful but i dont blame him. he was stuck in a cage all day with like 2 toys that he didnt even know what to do with. no fresh fruits or veggies ever. dirty dirty cage. he also came to me with a yeast and respritory infection. a woman was really terrible to him and made him hate people especially women. when i first got him he would bite me if i even tried to change his food or water. i got very discouraged and it made me feel like i was doing something wrong. after a month or two he started to tolerate me and i finally earned his trust... by giving him cheez-itz :lol: i let him decide to come to me and i didnt force it i let him have his space and he stayed out of his cage all day and id put him away at night. eventually he started coming over to me and wanted to just sit there and stare at me and if i moved hed run away and go back up on his cage. eventually he wanted to be pet and held and loved. he learned to play with toys and every day he showed a tiny bit of progress and i got to watch his personality grow and he became this wonderful little bird. ive never regreted getting him. sadly he doesnt trust many people the most you can ask of him is to tolerate you and sometimes he doesnt even do that. he attacks my grandma and i had to clip his wings because of it. now he chases after her and bites her feet.. hes still my baby if hes bad and i love him to death :heart: he enjoys tearing up his many toys and he walks around on the floor and looks at things. he looooves my dogs lol he gets so excited when they come in its so cute! the dogs dont mind him. he doesnt talk but he does make noises and he doesnt spend any time in his cage except at night and now he gets fresh fruits and veggies everyday and no one is mean to him. he isnt a fan of mikko and they stay out of each others way. some times he watches tv, sometimes he makes a lot of noise or he doesnt make any at all. one time i fell asleep and i looked around and couldnt find him and then i freaked out and made my brother come home from work and i found him under my bed in a storage thing without a lid sleeping... hes crazy! right now hes climbing up and down his cage making noises lol ;)
cell phone 1026.jpg
new pics 011.jpg
new pics 013.jpg
001.jpg 294422_280917741919078_100000025623550_1246626_46658584_n.jpg 262581_261819407162245_100000025623550_1168296_6178245_n.jpg 226600_219940274683492_100000025623550_970415_4911879_n.jpg

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
That would be great :) since I only have to supplement fresh foods for everyone else and its more snack blends than a whole diet, I am always concerned he's not getting enough. I did try soaking and he totally ignores it. Only one I haven't tried soaking yet is roudybush.
Good deal. I'll PM you the recipe.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I know this is a old post but believe it or not I did not know it was here. Any ways I saved my Mickey (W/C pio) from a local pet store chain he had been at that store sence he was a hatchling. I saved him because he was kept in a 2x2 cage with two perches and two toys and he looked so sad and slow. Well the pet store was lowering the price to sell him off he went from $998 to $200 the day I brought him home we were ment for each other I know it now more than ever . Me and my wife for 3 weeks would visit him he would start doing his body spin when he saw us so excited so we decided to handle him the store clerk opened the cage and said step back he will not let anyone touch him in his cage . So my wife looked and me and piffed and said go work your animal magic ( I have a thing with animals) . I looked at Mickey in the eye put my face real close to the cage and said "Want to come to me bud " I slowly moved my hand towards him he put head down as to say scratch first so i did then he grabbed my finder while looking at me eye to eye I smiled and he stepped up. I praised him which wigged him out he was not used to that treatment. He went back and forth from mine to my wife's shoulder all excited . I know for fact he never was allowed to explore outside his cage when he got home I opened his cage open carrier and boom went from the bottom to the top of cage in like a few secind's. Mickey wants to go to bed he paces top of cage. Mickey is the sweetest animal I have every met never has had a mean streak only time he bit me is cause I got in the way of him and my wifes GC Shweepea they hate each other yet there are the same in every way.Mickey is big scarty cat he trys to run while Shweepea chases him, Mickey could kill poor shweepea. Dont worry I take great precautions when Mickey is out conures are in . SO me and mickey are so close he will let me do anything with him. LOL conures did not want me typing so I had to take a break from prying beeks. Well me and Mickey have something special . Oh and loves hanging out with my wife talking up a storm it is cute .

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can't wait to see photos!:dance4:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
View attachment 105274
Introducing Pearl, with me for one week, but, a SWEETHEART....unknown gender and age, trying to contact aviary owner for any details.
Gorgeous!

I just picked up Tiki, a female blue headed pionus last night. I believe she is around 10 years old, a rescue. Both of her wings have been pinioned (wing tips cut off) so she has poor balance and has fallen quite a bit and broken all of her tail feathers off. They currently don't seem to grow back but hopefully will in the future. She is a real sweetheart. She doesn't want to come out of the cage yet but puts her head down for lots of scritches, making a soft babylike sucking sound while getting scritched. She is so quiet I don't even think the other birds know she is here!
Tiki.JPG
Tiki2.JPG
Tiki-Jun2012-03.jpg
Tiki-Jun2012-05.jpg