• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~*~*Pionus check in*~*~

STEVEN TURITZ

Moving in
Real Name
STEVEN TURITZ
Hi there Pionus Lovers:
I am new (lol - honestly, like yesterday - I signed up and joined yesterday 02-24-2018) to the Avian Avenue Community, this forum and was pleasantly surprised at the depth of species specific threads.
I am also new to Parrots, 62 years old and I live in New York in a private home with my Wife (not a bird fancier) and my 3 1/2 year old Golden Retriever, Steeley.
I have been diligently researching the Pionus species, albeit it that along the road I did get sidetracked researching other species, but, after reading through this thread and all the other Pionus related threads I realized that I was on the right road from the very beginning when I had decided that I wanted to add a 'Baby Girl' Bronze Winged Pionus to my family and my home.
I think that I have landed on the PERFECT PIONUS species for me, specifically the Bronze Winged Pionus to add a 'feathered pet companion' to my life.
I am reaching out to all you Bronze Winged Pionus owners, specifically Shannon/atomicfriday and Bethany/MimzyPottles, as you both live here in the U.S. as I do, for advice and help in locating a BWP breeder of unparalleled honesty and integrity, and all the advice that you can give me to make this journey a successful and pleasant one for both 'Baby Girl' and myself.
I am so glad that I joined AvianAvenue.com, it is invaluable to first hand advice from personal experiences from experienced 'Pionus Owners', NOT breeders trying to sell what they obviously like and breed.
(Please note that I am new to this Forum, as I am to Parrots, AND also to utilizing the software - did I at least do the tagging correctly Aubrey ?)
@Aubrey
@atomicfriday
@MimzyPottles

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Congrats on possibly getting a Pionus. I've had 4 Maxi's now and each one was his own soul with similarities. Nerd was I'm pretty sure wild caught with his brother in 78. His brother died suddenly a few years in so we mourned and bonded and he was my best friend for 31 years. Dobby was a used parrot that arrived here scared of the world and mad that his old owner had left him. He was very aggressive and quick to bite. We wore each other down over about 5 years and he became a very grumpy friend who mostly trusted me but would still bite if not amused. He escaped due to a dumb mistake about 6 years in so I was given Dobby by Momazon when she could know longer keep him and knew what I went through with Lurch. Dobby is outgoing, well socialized, and never bites. He also is a very acrobatic flyer and loves to chew and eat anything he finds. He has chosen my sister who lives here as his favorite but likes almost everyone he meets.
One thing to remember is they can be long lived birds so keep that in mind when you get one and plan accordingly. I had no idea what I was in for with Nerd bird as they were pretty new to the pet trade and I was new to bigger parrots but we had a happy life together and he left this world sitting on my wrist happy he was with me. He was probably at least 35 as the shop guessed he and his brother were a couple of years old but nobody knew for surer and no bands.
Hang around and ask questions and let us know how the search goes and what you decide or what bird picks you even if it isn't a Pionus, and we love pictures.

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi there Pionus Lovers:
I am new (lol - honestly, like yesterday - I signed up and joined yesterday 02-24-2018) to the Avian Avenue Community, this forum and was pleasantly surprised at the depth of species specific threads.
I am also new to Parrots, 62 years old and I live in New York in a private home with my Wife (not a bird fancier) and my 3 1/2 year old Golden Retriever, Steeley.
I have been diligently researching the Pionus species, albeit it that along the road I did get sidetracked researching other species, but, after reading through this thread and all the other Pionus related threads I realized that I was on the right road from the very beginning when I had decided that I wanted to add a 'Baby Girl' Bronze Winged Pionus to my family and my home.
I think that I have landed on the PERFECT PIONUS species for me, specifically the Bronze Winged Pionus to add a 'feathered pet companion' to my life.
Congrats! Please continue to post and share pics and stories of your girl and your adventures with her!

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Another check in. I just added a Maximillian Pionus to our family. She is the older (21 years!) of the two pionus I have, and very very different personality wise from my young BH pi male. She is the water to Remy's fire, and I'll be very interested in how they will react to each other when they are introduced.

rwong

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! I love reading about everyone's pionus and their experiences with them, so thought I'd finally join! So glad to see so many other pionus owners out there. They're such a mysterious breed, and I feel like not very many people know about them.

Anyway, I've got 2 maxi pi's - one is 15 that I adopted 2 years ago, and one is 21 that I adopted a few months ago! I also have a pair of fosters that I don't know if they'll be adopted out or just stay with me forever. I've grown quite attached and of course I worry they won't go to an equally good or better home.

Just thought I'd say hi and introduce my pi's!

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome! Maxi is a great pi! Look forward to hearing more about yours.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Hi! I love reading about everyone's pionus and their experiences with them, so thought I'd finally join! So glad to see so many other pionus owners out there. They're such a mysterious breed, and I feel like not very many people know about them.

Anyway, I've got 2 maxi pi's - one is 15 that I adopted 2 years ago, and one is 21 that I adopted a few months ago! I also have a pair of fosters that I don't know if they'll be adopted out or just stay with me forever. I've grown quite attached and of course I worry they won't go to an equally good or better home.

Just thought I'd say hi and introduce my pi's!
Welcome! :)
And Maxis is the best! ♥

She is the water to Remy's fire, and I'll be very interested in how they will react to each other when they are introduced.
And how did it go? :)

Lauren

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
A check in from Ottawa, Ontario!!!!

This is Lily, my 4 year old female white capped pionus <3

I "rescued"/purchased her 2 years ago from this lovely couple who adored her, but were in the process of moving couldn't take their birds with them.

Not going to lie, I didn't click with her when I first met her. She refused to step up to me, would hide and make the Pi "nervous wheeze" noise when I went near. Her living conditions weren't great. ZERO toys in her cage, she was eating seeds but seemed to be happy and could tell she loved the couple.
I brought her home and she settled in relatively quick as far as adjusting to a new house, new people (especially ME, as I'm female, the couple were men :) ) and a loud obnoxious conure. Plus she started eating her Harrison's pellets within an hour!!! BONUS!

She is the most sweetest bird you will ever meet. Her sweet honey smell, graceful head bow when you give her face rubs, or her triceratops floof when you call her Lilybirb.

She's terrified of my black sharpei mix for god knows whatever reason and she came from a house filled with 4 italian grey hounds and 5 cats. And absolutely hates, I mean, will go out of her way to harm him, hates, my blue crown conure, Seth.

I was told she is a DNA'd female which explains her hormonal honks for hours on end every so often, and my god, her "sentry" call when she's alarmed or excited, can I say FIRE ALARM?! 90% of the time she's nattering and quiet, but gosh darn, her alarm call gives me anxiety.

Overall, in my n00bie experience with owning a WCP, Lily is amazing! And honestly, despite being a medium sized parrot, she is butter compared to my past lovebirds and blue crown conure!

14915535_10154486973040568_715652776704474397_n.jpg 13221704_10154046432860568_7918940674845747895_n.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Lauren what a beautiful Pi! And the total opposite of mine, who you never hear a peep from. :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@Lauren what a beautiful Pi! And the total opposite of mine, who you never hear a peep from. :)
Both my girls are really loud too. And Eloy was very silent.
She is the most sweetest bird you will ever meet.
Females are so sweet. ♥
Lily are adorable, I love the bath pic of her. ♥

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Lily is a cutie Pi.

nightfly

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Don
Here's Max, my WCP. 27, talks a bit. Learned to whistle just last year, at age 26. Sweet bird. Relatively quiet most of the time, but a good 'watch' bird. Learned to yap from previous landlord's tiny dog. So he yaps at strangers outside. Rarely, I'll get one of those ear piercing alarm sounds, but it's pretty rare, and he just intersperses it in between the yaps. My gray will get after him and try to get him to calm down with a 'cut it out', 'it's okay', and 'it's alright'. Sometimes it works and Max will calm down. Which I find interesting, as grays are usually more easily spooked by strange things. So I don't know if maybe the gray remembers people better, or just had better judgement of what's normal behavior for humans and what isn't. Max eats everything that I do (well, except steak).
. Max at 27.jpg
Got him a new cage last year, from ebay. about 24x36x36, with playground up top making it 88" high total.

cage for bird.jpg

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, Max! :heart:

Always nice to meet another WCP.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Welcome Max, Toby and Don! :greet14:
How long have you had Max?

nightfly

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Don
Welcome Max, Toby and Don! :greet14:
How long have you had Max?
Max is 27. We got him as a baby bird, right after he was weaned. Very mild mannered, he's the one I bring to show people who want to buy a parrot, as he doesn't usually nip or bite. Extremely, unusually well behaved, for a male WCP from what I read, though he does get a bit antsy during mating season.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Max is 27. We got him as a baby bir
Great to read that. I love when people understand that bringing a animal home is a life long commitment.
Terry here on this forum (Dartman) had his Maxis for a very long time too. :)

Extremely, unusually well behaved, for a male WCP from what I read, though he does get a bit antsy during mating season.
And you are sure you don't have a female? :p
Tanya's male WCP is also very sweet. So not all male Pi are difficult to handle when they are hormonal.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Andre is not difficult to handle. Just give him room when he is hormonal.

Fommy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
I have recently added baby Cotton to my flock. The sweetest White Cap, just barely 8 months old. Very independent, super curious and loves to ride around on our shoulder and watch everything we do. This baby is a very small fella, currently at only 175g Eats regularly and is super active. 20201007_161937.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have recently added baby Cotton to my flock. The sweetest White Cap, just barely 8 months old. Very independent, super curious and loves to ride around on our shoulder and watch everything we do. This baby is a very small fella, currently at only 175g Eats regularly and is super active. View attachment 357434
Congratulations!