• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~*~*Pionus check in*~*~

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Hi everyone! New to the forums and glad to be here! I have a 3 year old BW that until recently believed was a male! Surprise "Brucie" laid an egg, so now ive been calling her "Bebe". I had always wanted a parrot and after many hours of research decided i wanted a pionus. I really wanted a dusky, but the only source of a clutch left me hanging aftertalking back and forth and i was ready to pay. It mt not have been meant to be because shortly afterwards i found a local ad on craigslist and previously had never seen any pis available around me. The people i bought her from said she was dna sexed male and that they bought her at 6 months old from a cramped cage in a pet store, she was 1 when i took over and she now has a permanent place! She is silly but shy, and loves me. Used to hate my boyfriend but tolerates him now and will allow him to give scritches when shes in a particularly excellent mood! She follows me everywhere and loves cuddling while making some absurd monkey sounding noises, playing in my hair is a given, and absolutely loves taking showers. She is sweet but i know when shes a little too riled up and ill give her space til she calms down. One of her favorite past times is to hang out on top of the frig while im cooking (might have something to do with being a taste tester?) And will do anything for a peanut. As far as vocabulary she will say "whats up" and will sometimes go off on a tangent of grumbling when shes mad but i have no idea what shes saying, maybe its better that way! She gets along great with my dog and often times i feel like dr doolittle laying on the couch. She is a party bird and will stay up as late as i do having agood time, especially if theres music! For the most part though i keep her nighty times pretty rrgular, unless she starts doing this pathetic baby crying telling me she still wants to hang out. All in all im glad i ended up with her and am a devoted pionus fan! Even if nobody knows what she is, its a conversation starter and i can help get the pionus name out there!

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
Ok so here is Suri! He is actually Surya for the Hindu sun god. He is an almost 3 year old Bronze Wing. We were lucky enough to get him the week his hormones kicked in haha! He luvs anything that will hold still. I will work on a video for those asking about male hormonal displays. He is really cool and we are working on figuring each other out. He is very well trained to step up but tagged me a couple of times as I posted about in my other thread. We use a stick now most of the time and it just works better. He will step up, I just don't trust him right now with the raging hormones. Once that calms down I am sure we will be able to go back to normal. He is also quite the talker - "hello baby or birdie", "I love you", and he is working on "what are you doing?" He sounds like a cute little robot.

Attachments

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome! He sounds like a lot of fun! He is lucky to have you. He is handsome. Great photos.

Last edited:

Emery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kate
Awesome thread! I'm biased, but still!

This is my Phoebe. I was in a pet store one day and came across this cute Pi. I had small birds at the time, but have never had experience with larger ones, and I crtainly didn't know much about Pi's. Well, this cute little WC Pi let me scratch him all over - he was the sweetest thing! I don't like buying birds from pet stores, as cute as he was, but I went home and researched Pi's like crazy. I eventually found an awesome breeder, willing to ship, who had eggs on the nest. A year later, I got Phoebe, fully weaned at 11 months (she was a slow weaner - her brother Max went home at about 6 months). She' now 5 and the sweetest thing. She isn't that active - she could sit in one spot and play with foot toys for hours and hours! She's quiet, unless I leave the room for too long or have people over, and independant! I've had no problems with her.

It's so exciting to see other Pi's here - there's not a lot around here. Anyway, here's Phoebe. :)

As a baby

Emery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kate
Oh beautiful! Max has so much more blue than Phoebe! Amazing picture! I remember you posting that before (different forum), but forgot about it. I might save it, if you don't mind. ;)

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome Kate & Phoebe! Baby wc pi make such a transformation in color, don't they?

Emery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kate
They do, don't they! What's cute is when you look at their baby picture you can tell who's who, because Max has a much more rounded head than Phoebe.

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I think I have seem pictures of Max on a Pionus group on Facebook 'I Love My Pionus Parrot' . He is gorgeous as is his sister

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Oh beautiful! Max has so much more blue than Phoebe! Amazing picture! I remember you posting that before (different forum), but forgot about it. I might save it, if you don't mind. ;)
Go ahead!
The extra "blue" might have been due to the lighting there and the white balance might have been a little off, but I did like how the picture turned out none the less :)