• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~*~*Pionus check in*~*~

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 105274
Introducing Pearl, with me for one week, but, a SWEETHEART....unknown gender and age, trying to contact aviary owner for any details.
If she's a sweetheart, she's probably a girl ;) It's totally possible Pearl is male, but it seems like female pi's are sweet and docile, while males have lots of attitude. Females will also cluck. There are lots of videos on YouTube of this. I love her name!

pegwillen

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
D.
Well, just 2.5 weeks into having him/her, quiet would be an understatement!....makes the occasional soft peep, no mischief, just returned from 4 days in a small camper, and stayed near the cage/play area (next to a big window) never exploring the camper, took to the Aviator harness, albeit not loving putting it on, but a bit better with it each trip out (death grip on my fingers though)....he/she seemed happy to be near the home cage and budgies again.

If she's a sweetheart, she's probably a girl ;) It's totally possible Pearl is male, but it seems like female pi's are sweet and docile, while males have lots of attitude. Females will also cluck. There are lots of videos on YouTube of this. I love her name!

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Here is my Micky Mickster he is such a lovy dubby BUT do not try to take him off my shoulder or he will get ya I can place him on your finger or shoulder and he will get all snugly that is one of his wierd behaviors. He loves giving the evil eye to which always makes me laugh because he does not have a mean streak in him.

Micky2.jpg Micky1.jpg a1ade595.jpg

redmoss

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Claudia
Here's Charlie! I posted him on Rehome Highway thinking someone from here would be interested in such a nice bird. The consensus on the thread is he's a Maximilian/Coral Billed hybrid.

Well, with just the teeny tiniest bit of encouragement, I adopted him. For over a decade, I've wanted a BH, but sometimes things happen for a reason. Right now, he's a little shy; he came over to get a walnut but wouldn't take it from my hand. Yesterday, he did take a carrot but not today.

So, I'm mainly keeping my distance, talking softly and blinking until he's comfortable. On the drive home, I knew we'd be great friends when he laughed at Howard Stern on the radio.
Charlie3.jpg

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Here's Charlie! I posted him on Rehome Highway thinking someone from here would be interested in such a nice bird. The consensus on the thread is he's a Maximilian/Coral Billed hybrid.

Well, with just the teeny tiniest bit of encouragement, I adopted him. For over a decade, I've wanted a BH, but sometimes things happen for a reason. Right now, he's a little shy; he came over to get a walnut but wouldn't take it from my hand. Yesterday, he did take a carrot but not today.

So, I'm mainly keeping my distance, talking softly and blinking until he's comfortable. On the drive home, I knew we'd be great friends when he laughed at Howard Stern on the radio.
View attachment 115051
He's beautiful!

RedFeather

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Leah
This is my Izzy (Isabelle). I adopted her from some people who didn't want her anymore. Apparently, the husband could handle her, but the wife tried to get her out of the cage for me with thick leather gloves. I think the dislike there was totally mutual. ;) I waved the lady away, and collected her on my bare hand without a fuss.

She is a bit of a Jeckyl and Hyde character when the hormones kick up, but she can be very sweet and is desperate to be near us. Now that my almost two year old daughter doesn't need me quite as thoroughly, I plan to really work with Izzy on some of her issues. The only time you will ever catch her being silly is during a spray bath. She quickly turns around, with all feathers fanned, bends over and demands a good bum drenching :lol: DSC_0004_4.jpg

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I have been posting for 3 months now about Maximus, my WCP, but am realizing that I had not added him to this check in thread. Max is 7 months old today. I have had him 3 months. I have watched his unibrow disappear and his white cap start to come in. It is not fully in but it has filled in a lot. I was away for 2 days and I could not believe how different he looked. It is incredible to observe the mature feathers come in as he is going through his first molt. He is an extremely playful bird. He jumps and throws foot toys, hangs upside down as he shreds toys. He plays incredibly well by himself. At times he simply is an energy ball and very quiet and introspective at other times. He loves listening to and watching other pi on youtube. He wants me nearby but is not affectionate. So far he says "hello" and I have not figured out the other words he seems to have learned in his raspy voice. He is a little nippy at times with his playpen and when he is tired in the evening but he is mostly sweet. We are starting clicker training so I do hope to manage any behavioral issues that develop through the hormones. He has learned to like scritches but doesn't always want them. He tolerates a shower. He loves to vocalize and practice his whistles and words. He is a very healthy eater, eating lots of veggies. My favorite thing about Max is listening to the crisp crunches as he eats apples. Anyway, Max is not what I expected and this has been a learning experience as Max and I grow together. I absolutely adore him and feel fortunate to have my little energizer bunny, rough and tumble little boy pi.

028.jpg 122.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
baby white caps go through the greatest coloration transformation. they look so innocent as youngens and grow into very royal looking little fellows. I love white caps :heart:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
baby white caps go through the greatest coloration transformation. they look so innocent as youngens and grow into very royal looking little fellows. I love white caps :heart:
Yes, the color transformation is so fun to watch. Once in a while I catch the color in the light and wow! Thanks so much!

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Adam is my blue head who has been with me for about 2 1/2 years. I got him from a local rescue, he had been a breeder and the only paper work said "very aggressive, age unknown and needs frequent beak trims". He had a very poop encrusted band which when I got it clean enough to read while giving him mistings which he loves it said XIA 1092 so he may well be 20 yrs old. He has turned out to be a complete sweetheart. He did have fatty liver disease symptoms but with a good diet of fresh food and pellets including Roudybush AL (he had previously been on all seeds) and milk thistle his beak is in much better shape and our vet thinks he is fairly healthy now. I had been on Jan's Pionus Forum a lot until it had to shut down and recognize a few Pis from tere

Attachments

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Welcome, Cetan and Adam! Glad you joined us!

Last edited:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Welcome to aa Adam and Nancy :) I have noticed blue heads get over grown beaks more than any other pi(not that they are the only ones). Adam is adorable.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Adam is my blue head who has been with me for about 2 1/2 years. I got him from a local rescue, he had been a breeder and the only paper work said "very aggressive, age unknown and needs frequent beak trims". He had a very poop encrusted band which when I got it clean enough to read while giving him mistings which he loves it said XIA 1092 so he may well be 20 yrs old. He has turned out to be a complete sweetheart. He did have fatty liver disease symptoms but with a good diet of fresh food and pellets including Roudybush AL (he had previously been on all seeds) and milk thistle his beak is in much better shape and our vet thinks he is fairly healthy now. I had been on Jan's Pionus Forum a lot until it had to shut down and recognize a few Pis from tere
He is beautiful!:heart: Or shall I say Handsome:D My BH Pi is also a totally sweetheart, but then I think most Pi's are!

Marie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marie Marchand
I just realised I forgot to put Viva here!

Well here she is! She came to us at the end of september and it has been a joy getting to know her. She is very strong willed and extreamly intelligent, she sure knows how to get what she wants! I guess you could say she is ''a good human trainer'', I'm sure other Pi owners will know exactly what I mean!:hehe:
She is sweet as can be and affectionate at night, on her terms of course! I am completly smitten by her :heart: photo.jpg

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I just remembered I did not formally introduce you all to Mugsey my rehome I have had him for three months now and I slowly breaking him from his fear of everything. Actually i got to do my first SCretchs on him while doing video chat here from the forum. He is not to much of a hands on bird UNLESS he lets it then i can do just about anywhere scretches. I think he was never given attention becasue of his nervous tick whick looks like he is annoyed and ready to bite. Well me and him got past that most of the time although i have my scares on thumbs and index finger Just me not reading him rite of not respecting his space. Well here he is
DSC02031.jpg

DSC02032.jpg

Last edited: