• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus behavior

LeatherFea

Checking out the neighborhood
I volunteer at a bird rescue, and when my beloved Meyers passed away two months ago, I decided I can't live without a parrot. One of the workers thought I would be just the person for a multi-surrendered Pi. And when we meet, I found a kindred soul in her. I brought her home and Ms. Hormones has already had me at urgent care. She knows where my jugular is and flys across the room to me to attach herself to it. I feel I am having difficulty reading her body language. Knowing she had a history of hormonal behavior, I carefully choose partially toys, removed all boxes and potential nest sites from the house and have her light going off as the sun set at 4:50 today. What triggers your Pis? Do you find hormonal behavior to peak in the fall or spring in the northern hemisphere?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
My Pionus is only 4 months old, and the last Pi I had many years ago was elderly and sweet, so I can't help you with Pi-specific behavior. However, Daisy my Red Bellied Parrot is 18 months old and a hormonal wretch right now. I also got bit on the side of the neck the other day, out of nowhere, so you're not alone. :(

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Wow. That has to be scary!

I know they make kevlar neck guards for hockey players, I'd sure be tempted to get one till things improve!

Some of this might be just acting out, new home , anger and frustration. Ive had many rescues launch at face for first weeks or months .

Keep working on building your trust , positive association and bond.

I'm getting ready to try vet suggested longer dsy light hours....yikes she recommended 15 hours of daylight fir mine, useing lamp s d timer to achieve.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Fortunately for me, my girl pionuses never went for my neck or face. The worst that happened was that jo (bronze winged pi) reacted and nailed my fingers.

Otherwise I more had to deal with annoying repetitive calling and a bird sticking her behind in my face.

I generally avoided nesty areas on the bottom of the cage as that seemed to be stimulating. And removing the bird from my shoulder if she was going to get weird and proposition me. So basically I tried to watch her body language and if she’s getting excited, quietly put her back in or on her cage. Don’t give much reaction, just put her back.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch when he wanted something to happen and it didn't he'd bite my neck. He also bit my hands and fingers and bit me hard enough in my right ear to punch some holes and make me bleed, he wanted my oatmeal and I didn't offer fast enough so he screamed and nailed me. He was a used parrot with a lot of baggage to work through. He would not give any warnings and just go straight to a fast hard bite. I slowly worked with him and figured out his many triggers. He slowly started to be fond of and trust me so he stopped always biting as fast as he could and giving me fair warning once he realized I would honor his wishes. It took 5 years and he would still bite but I had to push it when I knew he was in a pissy mood.
He would fly after me like a feathered puppy once we worked out a understanding with each other and he stopped biting my neck because he was happy and knew he would eventually get what he wanted if he was nice.
You can look up my posts about him and our battles to being friends on here. They all are similar but their own souls so you get what you get and work at their pace till become friends and learn to avoid the situations that lead to da bitez.
I've had 4 Maxi Pionus now and every one was similar but their own attitude so you figure it out with time. If you're lucky they love you immediately but otherwise you have to earn it. They are very loyal and forgiving once they decide you're worthy their love and friendship, it's worth the work once you know they are truly happy.

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Lurch when he wanted something to happen and it didn't he'd bite my neck. He also bit my hands and fingers and bit me hard enough in my right ear to punch some holes and make me bleed, he wanted my oatmeal and I didn't offer fast enough so he screamed and nailed me. He was a used parrot with a lot of baggage to work through. He would not give any warnings and just go straight to a fast hard bite. I slowly worked with him and figured out his many triggers. He slowly started to be fond of and trust me so he stopped always biting as fast as he could and giving me fair warning once he realized I would honor his wishes. It took 5 years and he would still bite but I had to push it when I knew he was in a pissy mood.
He would fly after me like a feathered puppy once we worked out a understanding with each other and he stopped biting my neck because he was happy and knew he would eventually get what he wanted if he was nice.
You can look up my posts about him and our battles to being friends on here. They all are similar but their own souls so you get what you get and work at their pace till become friends and learn to avoid the situations that lead to da bitez.
I've had 4 Maxi Pionus now and every one was similar but their own attitude so you figure it out with time. If you're lucky they love you immediately but otherwise you have to earn it. They are very loyal and forgiving once they decide you're worthy their love and friendship, it's worth the work once you know they are truly happy.
Lurch was one of a kind. I wish I could have met him!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
He probably would have taken to you, he seemed to mostly like new people but we were always careful with him because you never know. As far as Dobby Mom was the only one he really wanted to beat up but I think we both know why he was like that.
It was so rewarding to see Lurch finally happy and a friend after all the work he took.