• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus and cockatiels?

TheFrith

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I am new to posting on the forum but I have read a lot and everyone here seems very knowledgeable! I have recently been offered a female white crowned pionus, she is a year or so old, and needs a new home. She shares her current home with a conure but they do not get along, the conure is often trying to play with her and she is very shy, so for the sake of both of them, she needs rehoming. I have two cockatiels, they are quite chilled, but do love to sing. They are fully flighted and as I work from home, spend a lot of time out in the living room. I would love to give this pionus a home, but I don’t know how compatible she would be with my tiels. I know this is a very broad question as everything is so based on the individual birds, but I just wondered if anyone had any experience of these birds together! Thanks for your help!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The major risk will come from your cockatiels. Pionus have very sensitive respiratory systems and the dust from your tiels will aggravate it.

Please read this:

I have a Pionus and have ruled out getting a tiel, African Grey or cockatoo for as long as she's alive. It could work only if the birds are housed in different parts of the house with more than one HEPA filter (at least one in the tiel's room and one in the pionus' room).

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Yup, as tka said, you have to be very careful. Better it not risk it.

TheFrith

Thank you so much for linking that article, I live in a flat so even if they were in different rooms, it would probably be too close, so I won’t risk it. Thank you for responding so quickly, you’ve been so helpful!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to not have better news, but I think you're being very responsible by not homing her. Even among South American species, Pionus are known for being sensitive to dust, fungus, mould and, unfortunately, dust from powder down birds.

TheFrith

It’s completely okay, thank you so much for the information, the last thing I’d ever want is to put a bird in danger, so I’m really glad I asked before agreeing to take her in. I live in quite an old building too, so mould in the winter would also be an issue. I just want this sweet bird to be happy and healthy, I’ll pass on the article to her current home so that they can make sure that whoever she is placed with will be aware. Again, thank you so much for your help!

Reactions: Ali

CC Uk

Hello! I am new to posting on the forum but I have read a lot and everyone here seems very knowledgeable! I have recently been offered a female white crowned pionus, she is a year or so old, and needs a new home. She shares her current home with a conure but they do not get along, the conure is often trying to play with her and she is very shy, so for the sake of both of them, she needs rehoming. I have two cockatiels, they are quite chilled, but do love to sing. They are fully flighted and as I work from home, spend a lot of time out in the living room. I would love to give this pionus a home, but I don’t know how compatible she would be with my tiels. I know this is a very broad question as everything is so based on the individual birds, but I just wondered if anyone had any experience of these birds together! Thanks for your help!
Hi!
I have a BH male, who was given to me at 1yr old. He has his own cage, but has 2 male cockatiels, some Linnies and a brotogeris as his flock. The tiels are kept in another cage about 8ft away. They all get along fine, even in their outside flight. I have a very good HEPA filter, and clean the room and their cages every other day. They also get regular showers. So, I think you should re-home the Pi. So long as your husbandry is good, there isn't a problem with mixing them.
Hi,
You can rehome the pi with tiels, because I have both together in the same room but different cages about 8ft apart. Get yourself a HEPA air purifier, make sure the birds get regular showers or baths and have a good cleaning routine.