• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pinocchio is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melissa C. Welch
I noticed he was getting more and more lethargic last weekend, and getting thinner too...

I saw him eating a few times and drinking but I also caught Aladdin feeding him a couple of times too.

Monday morning I rushed him to the vet and the vet (no avian vets around here) started him on antibiotics and vitamins.

The problem is... I know I just started the treatment but he is not getting any better.
I have him in a small separate cage now and he is barely pooping/peeing...

He is drinking water and that water has vitamins but I just tried to hand feed him and he will not take the formula.

He is getting so thin, I'm so worried about him :sad11:

I know I have to wait at least a couple of days to see if the antibiotics will work but... should I force feed him?
should I wait ?

I don't want to lose another faby :(

BTW Pinocchio is only about 3 months old.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Did they do any lab work at the vets?
Is there ANY way you can take him to an Avian vet?

How many doses of meds has he had?

Mine, will start to feel better pretty quick or stay the same, not worse. You should feed him and keep him warm. Also he needs to be hydrated.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
How long has he been on the anitbiotics? Did the vet say what they diagnosed him with? He needs extra heat and he needs to stay hydrated. What city and state do you live in. Maybe we could help you find another vet. Birds cannot linger long and by what you are saying he sounds very sick. Please answer some of the questions so we can try to help you more.

Chrissy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melissa C. Welch
No no avian vets, the closest one is about a one hour and a half drive away and my parents can't drive me there during the week cos they both work all day.

He is on a drop of antibiotics 3 times a day, he is on his third drop now.

He is not really getting worse, he is just the same and it doesn't look good :(

I'm not in the US.

Chrissy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melissa C. Welch
should I try to "force" feed him?

he won't take the baby formula or anything.... should i try to feed him those itty bitty pellets or keep trying the baby formula?

at least he is still drinking water, i just saw him drinking some and the water has vitamins in it...

:(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You need to get him in a hospital cage. Tent three sides and the top and put a heating pad on low under one half.

Put all perches and food down low so that he doesn't have to use up energy to get around.

Do you have any millet?

Ginger

Chrissy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melissa C. Welch
I forgot to answer, no the vet didnt do any blood work or anything...:mad:
Or said he has anything really, just said to give him the antibiotics and vitamins and "come back next week"

he looks sleepy all the time, like he is very weak... well he obviously is very weak...
I don't even know what I'm saying anymore...

yes, he already is in a sort of hospital cage, everything close to him, keeping him comfortable and quiet and always watching him

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Sweetheart,

The best thing you can do is call the avian vet close to you and see if they will stay open longer and then ask your parents if they can take off from work early and get him over there.

Try and explain to your parents how important it is that he be seen by an avian vet.
I drive about 2 1/2 hours one way to see our avian vet.

Ginger

Chrissy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melissa C. Welch
Ok, I'll talk to them...
I want to take him. I really do.

thanks

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...if you have a vet, ANY type of vet, that works with a lab that will also process avian cultures that would be the thing to do if you can't get to an Avian vet. At least they can collect the cutures send them out and when the culture report comes back it will list all bacteria and yeast levels, and also list which meds are effective or ineffective.

Many times just giving a broad spectrum antibiotic might compound the problem, rather than help if the bird has a specific overgrowth of a bacteria. A culture report will list what is the best meds to use.

As to the formula...it has vitamins in it. And giving vitamins in the water, there is also a risk of the body storing the fat soluble vitamins from both sources, those a risk of a toxicity. If you are putting the vitamins in the water, then you might consider offerring small bits of foods he likes by hand.

Waht type of bird is he? If he like spray millet, offer it. It is high in protein, which will help with a bird losing weight because it is the protein stores (muscle) that the body is using up trying to fight off an illness. If he will eat mashed hard-boiled eggs, it also contains protein.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
We know you do, this happens a lot. Kids have birds, that get sick. We know your hands are tied. Just do your best, we will help however we can.
Ok, I'll talk to them...
I want to take him. I really do.

thanks

Last edited:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I'm so sorry he's sick Melissa. :( I know how scary this is. I just went through it with Buddy.

I'm glad you're keeping him warm. Let us know how he is and if you're able to get him to a vet. There are many people on here who can give you so much good advice on trying to keep him stable until you can.

:hug8:

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
Awww, honey, I'm so sorry Pinocchio is sick. I hope he gets better very soon.

Chrissy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melissa C. Welch
Thank you Deb

and thank you Dotty...
my parents are not bad people or anything. they work very very hard to give me , my brother and sister and our pets everything we have and they also help a lot of people and work to help more...
thats one of the reasons we moved down here.

I guess they just have different priorities and sometimes they just can not do what they want to do because they have responsibilities...

anyway... we are trying

I'll keep trying

thanks everyone.

I'll try to keep you updated.

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie

my parents are not bad people or anything. they work very very hard to give me , my brother and sister and our pets everything we have and they also help a lot of people and work to help more...
thats one of the reasons we moved down here.
I guess they just have different priorities and sometimes they just can not do what they want to do because they have responsibilities...
anyway... we are trying
You are a lovely and compassionate young lady. Your parents sound like wonderful people and I'm sure they will do the best they can to help you and Pinocchio. :hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
No one thinks anything bad about your parents. I think its great they give you your pets and they took you went to the vet.

Just keep asking questions and someone can help you. We all want your baby to get well. Someone can walk you through it all.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
At the very least, sometimes an avian vet is willing to advise a regular vet on procedure & protocol. It might be worth a shot to find out, if your parents cannot bring you to the avian vet. Is the avian vet open on Saturday, or maybe another family member or friend might be willing to drive you for a nominal amount{gas money} or maybe even someone who lives in your area that is a bird lover? Maybe you could find out from your favorite store or if there is an AA member near you?
Just throwing some ideas out there. I hope you can get Pinocchio well. Sending healing and positive energy your way!!:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Oh no! I am sorry that he is not feeling well :(

Status
Not open for further replies.