• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pine wood in toys for rats? Safe or not?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Somebody asked this on a rat forum that I am on, and I wanted your opinions too. I haven't ever had to buy wood chew toys, because my previous rat wasn't a big chewer. But my new lil babies chew considerable more, and I am going to need to get them some wood toys. So. Pine wood in toys. Safe? Unsafe? Is it only safe if a certain process has happened to it?

@Mizzely I noticed that some of your toys which are recommended for small animals have pine wood in them. What do you think?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Here is a list of safe woods for rats to chew. I am sure Shawna will know as well and she will be able to tell you what drying process is used on the pine she has in her toys.

What Wood Can My Rat Chew?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Pine is safe :) it just can't be fresh pine, or pine with bark...it needs to be kiln dried. Any of the boards you find at Home Depot as an example are kiln dried. Just make sure it's untreated :)

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Pine is safe :) it just can't be fresh pine, or pine with bark...it needs to be kiln dried. Any of the boards you find at Home Depot as an example are kiln dried. Just make sure it's untreated :)
Okay, thanks! Do you mind if I recommend you to the person on the rat forum?