• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pinching and flight assistance

ScarletJax

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jacob
Hello, I’m Jacob I am new to this site and would take any help offered.
I’m looking for some help my Scarlet macaw Jax is almost 2 about a year 9months we have had him since he was weaned from a bottle he is hand fed. We have let his feathers grow completely and he has full flight. He will fly to us when asked but one big problem is we cannot get a flight suite on him he just fights us when we try so we are afraid in summer we will have to clip him to take him outside he enjoyed it last summer so much we hate to take that from him. The biggest issue is, He recently started where he will not stay on a perch. When we are home he stays out he gets our full attention. I am the person he picked to bond with but if I’m not around he is fine with my wife and kid. When I am In The room he flies onto me and when placed on a perch he flies right back. This is fine but when he is on me all he wants to do lately is pinch and this is cause he just wants to play with your fingers but he has started pinching hard and biting occasionally. He has been a great bird we never had a problem until recently he would pinch gently for attention at times but he was always more gentle and would step up to you no bitting what so ever. He has learned now when he pinches that I try to put him on a perch or cage to try to make him understand not to do this we try to teach him words that relates like bad or bad bird calmly but now he has started just repeating these words back to us and then right back at it. I’m truly at a loss on how to correct these habits. We love our bird more than anything but he is getting to be a little stressful. We still have treated him the same just try to discipline and redirect as much as we can it’s just not working so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

LanaNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
Have you tried clicker training? Clicker training is a great way to bond with an animal, to teach behaviors, and to discourage undesired behaviors by encouraging replacement behaviors.

It does not have to be time consuming - it can be 3 minute sessions or less a few times a day keeps it fresh and within the animal's attention span.

It is a way of training that only uses positive reenforcement, no punishments, and you and the animal are a team to do fun activities together. The animal in a way gets to "train" the person -- hey, if I do the "trick" on cue then the person gives me attention, or food, or pets, or whatever "reward".

Last edited:

LanaNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
So here, for example, you could train the bird to play with toys on stands, or to softly beak your hand, or to say maybe say words or sound effects for attention, or to do some other activity with his beak when he is on you like shred wooden blocks. There are so many fun play options with training!