• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pin feathers

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I realize Pichu is always having pin feathers on his head/neck. There never seems to be a time where he is all smooth, which is a problem for harness training but also has me wondering if he lacks some nutrient or whatever it is he'd need to just be done with it?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt has the same issue.
I have not used his harness for soooo long because he gets the pins stuck and grumps and gets hurt and miserable.
I think he’s been moulting continuously for over a year now!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I realize Pichu is always having pin feathers on his head/neck. There never seems to be a time where he is all smooth, which is a problem for harness training but also has me wondering if he lacks some nutrient or whatever it is he'd need to just be done with it?
Forgot to mention that I was told they will only moult this much if they’re healthy enough to support the feather growth ;)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've heard that lightly misting them can help.
I've tried to give him showers -which he hates!- and now that I'm stranded at home I've observed him bathing in his little cup so he gets what he needs on that front.

Forgot to mention that I was told they will only moult this much if they’re healthy enough to support the feather growth ;)
At least it is good to know, but I'd like him to stop for a while... Hope someone has good advice for us!

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Both of my single birds have the same issue ... and they always try to scratch their pins on perches, corners of things, toys, etc. Neither of them like to be touched, so although on occasion I've scooped them up and helped them out some (no it doesn't ruin their day or our bond!), I don't make a habit out of it. Guess I'm not too much help, hopefully someone has the golden ticket!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Mine asks for scritches and scratches, he comes on my hand and gently pecks at my thumb until I raise it so he can rub his neck and face on it :p but it is very sensitive so I don't dare scratch him myself. The feathers have to be ready to open before the cuticle can fall off anyway.. He also scratches himself om his toys but sometimes he would jump and shriek because he came to rub one of those the wrong way :(

Could it be a lack of vitamins or minerals? Do you give any extra Shezbug? NorthernGannet? I don't...

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The only thing I give other than a varied fresh and pellet diet is a dose of RPO every day. Burt recently had his vet check and his bloods were fine.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sunshine has the same problem. She wants me to help her with them, then bites cause it hurts. She’s particularly sensitive to them.

She gets a mostly fresh food diet, vitamins, supplements. I tried Feather Fast but it didn’t make a difference that I could see.
Here we are getting some sun to see if that changes things (it didn’t).

84322DB6-C905-46B2-BA3D-2923D4142024.jpeg

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The only thing I give other than a varied fresh and pellet diet is a dose of RPO every day. Burt recently had his vet check and his bloods were fine.
What's RPO?

She gets a mostly fresh food diet, vitamins, supplements. I tried Feather Fast but it didn’t make a difference that I could see.
Here we are getting some sun to see if that changes things (it didn’t).
So even with vitamins, supplements and sun it doesn't help :(
Sunshine is a cutie, are you taking her outside without a harness? I think Pichu would sit with me and comes to me if he is scared but I wouldn't trust him 100% to that if he was outside...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What's RPO?

So even with vitamins, supplements and sun it doesn't help :(
Sunshine is a cutie, are you taking her outside without a harness? I think Pichu would sit with me and comes to me if he is scared but I wouldn't trust him 100% to that if he was outside...
RPO= red palm oil.

No no, not all the way outside. We're inside the pool cage/screen cage in that photo. I have plants on the patio inside the cage. I love being able to take the birds out there. :)

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Mine asks for scritches and scratches, he comes on my hand and gently pecks at my thumb until I raise it so he can rub his neck and face on it :p but it is very sensitive so I don't dare scratch him myself. The feathers have to be ready to open before the cuticle can fall off anyway.. He also scratches himself om his toys but sometimes he would jump and shriek because he came to rub one of those the wrong way :(

Could it be a lack of vitamins or minerals? Do you give any extra Shezbug? NorthernGannet? I don't...
I give them Prime sometimes, but I'm not consistent.

-NG

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
From what I understand parrotlets will regenerate new small feathers around their body and head all year. The major flight feathers and tail feather change in their annual molt. So some pins year round is not a problem, as long as they are healthy feathers of course.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
From what I understand parrotlets will regenerate new small feathers around their body and head all year. The major flight feathers and tail feather change in their annual molt. So some pins year round is not a problem, as long as they are healthy feathers of course.
they are healthy and it is not a problem per se, but I see pictures of other parrotlets being all smooth while Pichu is almost never pin-free so I wondered why. Also a plague for harness training..