• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pigeons fighting need to be separated, but which one to seperate?

Who to seperate

• Silver

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Pebbles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cloud

• Different

• Total voters

Jogging around the block
I was hoping it wouldn't come to this but it did. I need to separate some of my pigeons while I find a solution to this problem.
Silver (male pigeon) has now become dominant over Pebbles (Sibling male pigeon) who has a mate (Cloud). Pebbles is harassing Cloud, following her, chasing her, what looks to be like herding her away from Silver. And nobody but Silver is getting enough to eat, because the rest are busy chasing. I think (?) this is Pebbles trying to not let Silver steal Cloud, but I'm not sure. Whatever it is it cant go on. And Silver tries to follow them, I think just flock instinct, but the Pebbles always tries to herd Cloud and himself away, and it's making everyone stressed.
I'm going to catch someone tonight and put them in a coop on their own. But I'm not sure who.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
It sounds like Pebbles and Cloud got along peacefully until Silver tried to horn in, right? In that case, Silver's the odd one out and the source of the trouble. The food situation speaks volumes. He's the one I'd pull.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love pigeons & had no idea they fought. Guess I should’ve. Good luck catching Silver!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I also think Silver. Maybe see what @Birdbabe thinks first though

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I don't know if these things apply to pigeoms but I seperate my most aggressive quail when I have to seperate because the longer an individual is seperate the more likely it is that it won't be as easily accepted back into the pecking order so they will be at the very bottom of the pecking order once they are re-introduced. Also I observe a tendency of bullying if there is one bully in the flock and if that one bully is removed the others usually go back to being their normal selves.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don't know if these things apply to pigeoms but I seperate my most aggressive quail when I have to seperate because the longer an individual is seperate the more likely it is that it won't be as easily accepted back into the pecking order so they will be at the very bottom of the pecking order once they are re-introduced. Also I observe a tendency of bullying if there is one bully in the flock and if that one bully is removed the others usually go back to being their normal selves.
I had similar experiences with quail back when I was raising them. Removing one bully would change the whole dynamic of the flock.

And introducing new birds - even if they had come from there in the first place, was a whole process. I never introduced just one bird. You always want to add at least two, so even if they're picked on, they have each other for support. You also couldn't just put them directly in with the established group - good way to end up with dead birds. I always started with the newbies in a small cage within the larger enclosure, so the current occupants could see and hear them, but not actually touch. Generally after about a week, they were no longer a novelty and could safely be released into the larger flock.

If parrots are toddlers, quail are middle-school kids, not particularly large or strong, but they can be absolutely vicious to their peers.

Jogging around the block
Going to be fun catching them, they're so intelligent they notice such small little changes and it makes them suspicious!
'She tried to FEED us in the coop today! :rnfrt:'