• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pigeon's Eye is not Opening Completely

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Hi everyone, I originally posted this question on Pigeon Talk, but no one got back to me so I decided to write it here:

I went to go check on my White King Pigeon a few days ago and noticed that his left eye looks a bit abnormal. When looking at him straight in the face, you can see that his left eye is only a quarter open as compared to his good eye. On closer inspection, I noticed that the skin around his left eye looked a bit red. There's no swelling, but his bottom eyelid does look a bit bigger in a way, but it isn't puffy, and there's no ichor, no watery discharge, no puss, or anything of the sort. There is also no scrape/scratch, or at least none that are visible. He is just as active as always, is eating, drinking, flying, and his stools are normal. I'm really worried about him because I love him to death, and if I cannot find out further information on what he might have, I will bring him to the avian vet (which is a good hour and half away from my home).
Another piece of info you guys might need to know is that about a week ago, I purchased a pair of fantails from an untrustworthy breeder, whom I found out had sold me sick birds. I found my fantails deceased on just the third day of me owning them. This situation has never happened to me with any new bird. My white king was in the same coop with them for just a few hours on the first day I brought them home, but I moved him into a larger coop that same day. My thought is that maybe the fantails gave my white king something...but could this have happened in such a short amount of time? Or could he have hit his eye on the wiring in his new coop?
Could it be a one eye cold, or would his eye be watering if that was the case?
I read somewhere that I can apply boiled chamomile water to his eye by pressing a cloth damp with it onto his bad eye to ease the redness. I also heard that dabbing hydrogen peroxide around his eyelids may help. Is this recommended?
I hope I have explained myself clear enough, and hopefully some of you may have suggestions for me. Thanks for all your time and help in advance!
I have taken images for comparison.
Here is a photo of his good eye: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29879&d=1396514007
And here is a photo of his bad eye: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29878&d=1396511955

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think definitely he could have caught something in such a short amount of time or could even have some other type of infection. I would definitely be consulting a vet on this. in the meantime you can try washing the e ye with warm water and a cloth and applying polysporin...however, I do recommend a vet as it could be a sign of something far more sinister @Birdbabe

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
I think definitely he could have caught something in such a short amount of time or could even have some other type of infection. I would definitely be consulting a vet on this. in the meantime you can try washing the e ye with warm water and a cloth and applying polysporin...however, I do recommend a vet as it could be a sign of something far more sinister @Birdbabe
There is no open wound anywhere on his eye- how would polysporin help? Is the hydrogen peroxide a bad idea?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
polysporin would help to eliminate any infection that is brewing in there...just put it in the corner...i would not be using the peroxide until you at least speak to a vet...maybe a farm vet...or avian vet could help out.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Many chicken owners/breeders keep a general antibiotic on hand for routine care. Do you happen to have any? If so it might be a good idea to start some to stave off any infections from the other birds, until you can get a vet's opinion.

I also agree with Anne about using the eye cream.

I like these products, and use them. Vetericyn eye rinse

Vetericyn Ophthalmic Products | Vetericyn Eye Wash and Gel by Doctors Foster and Smith

Do you know what the other two birds died from?

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Many chicken owners/breeders keep a general antibiotic on hand for routine care. Do you happen to have any? If so it might be a good idea to start some to stave off any infections from the other birds, until you can get a vet's opinion.

I also agree with Anne about using the eye cream.

I like these products, and use them. Vetericyn eye rinse

Vetericyn Ophthalmic Products | Vetericyn Eye Wash and Gel by Doctors Foster and Smith

Do you know what the other two birds died from?
Thank you for the links! No, I do not know what the other pigeons died from, and I'm still trying to figure it out. They had not shown any signs of sickness until the day they passed, which included lethargy and stumbling (unable to walk well).

Callista15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Callista(Cally)
I remember hearing about a friend's flock of Seramas who had similar or identical symptoms. However, none died. It was cured by an over-the-counter poultry antibiotic. However, I've forgotten the name at this point in time. Would you like me to ask her what it was?

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
I remember hearing about a friend's flock of Seramas who had similar or identical symptoms. However, none died. It was cured by an over-the-counter poultry antibiotic. However, I've forgotten the name at this point in time. Would you like me to ask her what it was?
Yes please do! Thank you! And are you talking about the symptoms of the now deceased pigeons, or my white king?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can't see the pics, says invalid? Without seeing, I can only guess,,,,conjunctivitis? An avian vet would be your best action right now, could just be a scratch or a seed or other object in there? You can flush with saline in the meantime, I will log on to Pigeon talk and see if I can view the pics.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
I can't see the pics, says invalid? Without seeing, I can only guess,,,,conjunctivitis? An avian vet would be your best action right now, could just be a scratch or a seed or other object in there? You can flush with saline in the meantime, I will log on to Pigeon talk and see if I can view the pics.
Thank you. And yes I was guessing conjunctivitis too. But what do you think about salmonella? I heard it can cause eye problems and it also may cause weakness in the legs (my fantails had been stumbling). I will try to wash his eye out with a saline.

Callista15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Callista(Cally)
Possibly salmonella. That's what Squeaker and one bird of mine had. Both survived. But they had relatively mild cases of it, and weren't stressed.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I agree with the others, wash his eye out & call the vet- & see what they say. We've had chickens with various ailments including eye problems. I wonder if he got something in his eye, like a peice of bark/leaf & thats why his eye is red? Wash it out & post back on this thread. Praying he's okay! :)

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Possibly salmonella. That's what Squeaker and one bird of mine had. Both survived. But they had relatively mild cases of it, and weren't stressed.
I agree with the others, wash his eye out & call the vet- & see what they say. We've had chickens with various ailments including eye problems. I wonder if he got something in his eye, like a peice of bark/leaf & thats why his eye is red? Wash it out & post back on this thread. Praying he's okay! :)
No worries guys! I've been dabbing my pigeon's eye with warm boiled chamomile twice a day and the redness has disappeared, as well as the slight swelling. His eye looks great just like his other one.:laughing12: Thanks for your concern!