• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pig Picked Off a Scab?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
So, as some of you may know, Pig had a broken blood feather recently. Today, I took her out, she started preening, and to my suprise, she had something very dark red/black in her beak. I had her step up so I could see it better, and when she put her beak to my hand to get on the dark thing left fresh blood on my finger! :eek: The tip of her beak was also red. She dropped the scab, so I couldn't examine it further.

Has anyone had this problem? Is it just from the blood feather, and will it heal? Should I take her to a vet? I don't have any other birds, and there hasn't been anything that could have cut her that she's come in contact with since we bought her.... Please help! I'm so scared D:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I don't have any answers for you... I am assuming the blood feather site did not re-bleed?

I am sure somebody who knows will be along shortly... sending up prayers for you and Pig:heart:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Is there any actual bleeding?If not-I would just leave her alone,but keep an eye on her for bleeding:hug8:If You do find a spot that is bleeding,You can make a paste of cayeene powder and water and cover the spot with it:hug8:

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
We checked her over, and couldn't find anything... We're watching her closely, all she's done really is eat(and faceplant into her food... XD). She's beak grinding and it's almost bed time. I'll watch for anything suspicious.

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
Okay, Update! Yesterday while I was cuddling with her, I noticed a very small spot of dried blood. It was about the size of the lead in a pencil, very small. We checked the area, there were no cuts. Today, again while cuddling, I noticed a small speck of blood that was slightly larger, again dried. It was beneath her beak, on the right side of those little feathers that curl underneath the beak. No cuts there either(although I did find a small bald spot in the middle of her stomach, near where the first spot of blood was found, that I hadn't noticed before). I'm not sure what to think of this. I'm hesitant to take her to the vet, as I have to pay for everything myself and I have no job, so there's not a whole lot of money to go 'round, and it doesn't seem to be life threatening.

There's nothing that could look like blood that she's come in contact with... She doesn't have any red food either. This is really odd, has anyone else had this problem?

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Perhaps her nails need clipping and she is scratch herself with pointy nails. Otherwise, not really sure, I guess just keep observing her to determine if you need to have her vet checked. What type of parrot is she?

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
Pig is a Cockatiel <3 We're going to check her preen gland later tonight, as the thought to do so somehow escaped me until now. If it continues I'll call her her vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.