• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pierre.....I got a kissssss!!! I got a kisssssss!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well many of you know that Pierre has come home to his forever home now. Just over 3 weeks now at his new home and made tremendous progress.

You remember how when he first came home He would hold wings out, scream, and lay on his back. He doesn't do that now.

I have been observing him closely, making notes of his behavior, and habits, likes and dislikes. What food he notices from a distance that I have. I have his cage in dinning room, and not in bird room with grey grey. They can see one another from bird room.

I come to the conclusion after careful observation and studying him for past 3 weeks
That Pierre is not a mean bird, and not normally frightened. He's not a biter either. He doesn't want to bite. He will show his beak, but just give a very soft grab when he's unsure or nervous about doing something. This was a nice bird that had lots of love and still has lots of love to give.

So.....tonite I tried an experiment. My wife watching me, ( thinking I was either absolutely crazy, or braver than crap). I had Pierre on my wrist
and sitting in chair. Held him just inches from my face and talking to him.

I decided...pierre, can you give daddy a kiss?
He leaned forward, grabbed my bottom lip, ever so gently, and his tongue touched my lip while he was holding my lip. My wife was holding her hand over her mouth expecting to see blood!! Nope.

I've been very good at reading birds, and knew he would bite hard if at all. This helps establish trust. Animals smell you, lick you or taste you, and study you from a distance. To make a determination that your safe. And no, I do not recommend trying that with a new bird unless your brave and really been studying your birds behavior. Everyone knows an amazon can rip flesh if they want to. They can pack a bite.I

But Pierre has been very gentle from day one, Meaning he's a sweety by nature, with no desire to hurt. I'm and so thankful for this bird. I'm just tickled about him. There s no aggression what so ever in this bird.

He baths every other day, plays well with his toys, is not afraid of grey grey. Though I still do not allow them to be close for now. Grey grey must of thought it was poppers at first.... But realized now it's not... The day I think he realized that it's not poppie, he say all day very quite across room on his perch, and just watched pierre.

Pierre loves his veggies and sweet potatoes.
Mangos, corn, plant based pasta, peas, beans.
and his pellets and seed mixture. Guy is a little chow hound. He's a big boy for an amazon.

Began talking now and each day says a few more things. He spends from Sun up to Sun down out of his cage so had total freedom. So when I go outside for a minute to garage, I say I'll be right back pierre. He say " ok...bye bye. Bye bye. "
Then when I come back in I say ...ok I'm back.
he says " hello, hello ". He's going to be a wonderful bird. A gem!!! And na na na na naaa,
I got a kisssssssssssss from my bird....and I like it.
received_625192971598762.jpeg IMG_20200222_170938_hdr.jpg IMG_20200214_183833.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It’s great he’s settling in so well! He sure is pretty :heart:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Sometimes to get trust you have to give trust or get a ripped lip...:embarassed::congrats5:
Believe it or not that is the absolute truth.
I don't recommend doing that , trying to get a kiss from a bird with in first few weeks. But for me I knew it could go either way... However my instincts said he wouldn't, my judgement of body language was spot on.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They hold on to hope so long...Amazing...the spirit within in until they find someone to unlock it.. Treasure would not be treasure if it was easy to find...Pierre has been keeping his best locked up until he found someone who had the key...:heart:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Wow...can;t believe I said that...profound!!!:omg:
That was beautifully said... I couldn't have said it better. And your right, this bird is holding something special inside. He's smart, I've learnt that in just 3 weeks of what 20 yrs of Amazon is in him.... And he is just a sweet sweet bird. I've had my shares of Amazon's , and met several others.
And as we all know, they can be unpredictable when they want to bite. And can pack a punch in their bite.

If Pierre was going to bite he'd of done it good by now...not him....too sweet.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Wow, he is a big boy!! Do you know his weight? Mickey was small for a DYH, but he was an older bird. I am so pleased (if not a bit envious) that he is giving kisses so quickly.

I believe birds like this do really well when rehomed to experienced bird people. He is so lovable and lucky, please continue to update us with pics!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Wow, he is a big boy!! Do you know his weight? Mickey was small for a DYH, but he was an older bird. I am so pleased (if not a bit envious) that he is giving kisses so quickly.

I believe birds like this do really well when rehomed to experienced bird people. He is so lovable and lucky, please continue to update us with pics!
Yea he is a big boy. At vet wellness visit, he weighed 594 grams, and is 17 1/4 in long or tall, which ever way you figure that.
Amazon's are prone to weight gain, so might have to keep an eye on his weight. But vet said he's just big build. And has a healthy weight.
Pierre is 20 yrs old. And not exactly sure of his exact hatch date. Might get a hold of Chelsea and see if she may know.
Getting a kiss was a little experiment, one I really don't recommend trying unless your ok with the possibility of getting bit and can shake it off.
When poppers was alive, she was good at kissing, but that came with a price. First couple times I got a through and through bite on the lip.
A clean hole straight thru.
My theory, if your going to be scared of a bird, they will know and always use that against you, in their favor, and you don't want that.
Pierre was said to be difficult and aggressive, bah!!...He's great, shy at New things, as I'm introducing him to them little at a time. As for being aggressive, no, not at all. He's just scared,
or was, but finding the life is pretty good here.
And has total freedom to be out all day, with a variety of perches, play gym and areas of house to explore. He's a happy guy!!!
Right now he's had his lunch, and is chilling on java tree.

IMG_20200226_123423.jpg IMG_20200226_123459.jpg

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm going to really love this bird. I'm not kidding!
He's impressed me beyond words. And of course we been studying each other.

A little each day, to invite him and let him know he's part of the flock now. That my territory is his territory too, my food ( his food actually) I share with him, My hands won't hurt him, the toys are there for him to play with and I'll play with them too with him, A kiss is ok. He's actually relaxed and feels at home here.
Tonite I put a piece of food on my lip, a plant based pasta noodle. And offered it to him. He took it gently from my lips. I know, don't worry not something I do regularly. But the purpose of this is food shared in a flock is a form of trust. And it does work. It helps lower the wall of fear and what it's between bird and human and continues the trust. Helps them identify you as part of the flock and that your cool with it.
Right now I'm happy as heck in coming across this beauty. Thanks chelsea... I mean it too!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Wow! He’s so special! :heart: And so dang cute! Such a beautiful head.
Thanks!! You know, I've had a few Amazon's over the years. Poppers was an amazing amazon,
But she did have a mean streak now and then.
But Pierre here ...there's something unique about him...special inside him...and it will come out in time. But right now he's amazing, very loveable, playful, talkative and great eater, non aggressive, very healthy according to vet.
I can't ask for better, and he's still blossoming
Here in his new home.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
That is one content Amazon. He is a beautiful boy, and I can see the light in his eyes. You’ve gone from misery over the loss of Poppers, to a new beginning with a bird in need. How blessed is that?

You will be rewarded many times over!

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
This makes me so happy :cloud9: :birdance: :heart:
We need to come visit soon, I never got to see nice Pierre, only petrified Pierre! He lunged at me when I changed his bowls, and almost took a finger off when I offered him a grape! When he flew out towards me, I was seriously intimidated. But now I wonder if he was being aggressive at all, or just wanted to come fly around and panicked when he realized he was clipped and crash landed.