• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pierre.....I got a kissssss!!! I got a kisssssss!

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
What outstanding progression so far! Pierre must feel very safe and welcome in your home. Maybe he knows he's landed there to stay, and perhaps he feels your grieving heart too.

Thanks for the update, we want MORE! He is so beautiful. Congrats on such a gentle beautiful Amazon.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
[QUOTE="TikkiTembo, post: 3206508, member: 32264"]
This makes me so happy :cloud9: :birdance: :heart:
We need to come visit soon, I never got to see nice Pierre, only petrified Pierre! He lunged at me when I changed his bowls, and almost took a finger off when I offered him a grape! When he flew out towards me, I was seriously intimidated. But now I wonder if he was being aggressive at
all, or just wanted to come fly around and panicked when he realized he was clipped and crash landed.
[/QUOTE]
Oh we're happy too!! And greatful to you in introducing Pierre to me. Your an official bird match maker.
Glenda and I would love to have you guys come over....you'll know when it comes time to watch chipper, he'll be safe and happy here, and you won't have to worry at all at his well being.
Pierre was quite terrified back then. I agree. But the lunge I don't think was any aggression, I honestly think now that he's drawn to women. And feels safe with them.
He prefers Glenda over me. If he's on me he'll step down walk over and hold his foot up for Glenda to pick him up.
We had friends over last week, Glenda's friend Cheri walked up to Pierre on cage and began saying hi and talking to him just before she was going to leave. Pierre launched himself at cheri, but since he can't fly due to clipped wings, ( I don't like clipped wings personally) I picked him up and put him on java tree...he began calling out..
" momma? Momma? Momma come here, momma!?! " ...There was something about her voice or pike that attracted pierre. A memory perhaps. He hasn't said a word until that moment.
Now he talks a little, when he wants.
So my guess is he launched at you because he felt safer with you. Grapes by the way he doesn't seem to like, and attacks the grape...lol.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Doesn't like grapes?! Guess he was just communicating and I let fear mix up his messages! BUT Pierre was the first bird I've ever had in my home that intimidated me, and I'm glad I got the experience. I've never made a 4 foot long T stick as fast as I did as when Pierre was walking around on the floor :lol: Next time I get a bird in my home labeled as "aggressive", I think I'll ignore it and make my own decisions about the bird.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Doesn't like grapes?! Guess he was just communicating and I let fear mix up his messages! BUT Pierre was the first bird I've ever had in my home that intimidated me, and I'm glad I got the experience. I've never made a 4 foot long T stick as fast as I did as when Pierre was walking around on the floor :lol: Next time I get a bird in my home labeled as "aggressive", I think I'll ignore it and make my own decisions about the bird.
Nope, doesn't seem to like grapes. But he does like the yellow beets. Sweet potatoes, loves edamame, plant based pasta, corn from cob, mangos, peaches that we canned without sugar,
Beans, to name a few.
His fear ( and still shows it a little bit) is approaching his feet. If you ask him, he'll hold his foot out. But reach without asking and have hand by foot, he becomes nervous.
I really think that had something to do with when kim, took him to have nails and wings clipped. His nails are a tab bit too short.
and I think he found the experience quite unpleasant, maybe even hurt a bit, I don't know.
but that's where the fear lies.
He has no fear of anything else. His fear came from wondering if somebody is going to butcher his wings, and cut his nails. But he realized I'm not going to do that to him now, I don't believe in that.
Here s how I know the fear is from that...I have been having him on my arm last couple evenings and slowly touching and petting his feet to assure him I won't hurt or trim his nails. At first he let out that scream like he did when I first got him. It's an awful cry....never heard a bird cry like that. So that told me the experience with his feet was very frightening for him. But slowly touching his feet and telling him it's ok, his screaming stopped.
Its now just a wimper, but he's learning it's ok now.
Don't worry, Pierre is really harmless inside.
He may look intimidating, but that's what Amazon's are good at doing. Once you take charge and show them no fear, they back down from the intimidation.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
What outstanding progression so far! Pierre must feel very safe and welcome in your home. Maybe he knows he's landed there to stay, and perhaps he feels your grieving heart too.

Thanks for the update, we want MORE! He is so beautiful. Congrats on such a gentle beautiful Amazon.
I like that picture of Pi. He's a red-lored Amazon right? Those are pretty!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:swoon: He’s so gorgeous!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
:swoon: He’s so gorgeous!
Thank you! Pierre loves baths. He insist on one practically every other day. Plays and plays in water. So darn guy has to be the cleanest bird on the block! :rofl:
The past few days his talking has really increased. And quite funny! I didn't realize there were a hundred versions and tones of saying
" momma" ....

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Wow this so reminds me of my Blue Fronted Amazon Gus. He was wild when I got him and still have a scar from one of his bites but he turned out to be so gentle and loving over a few weeks. I had many years of fun with him. I miss him still when I play with Tinker.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Wow this so reminds me of my Blue Fronted Amazon Gus. He was wild when I got him and still have a scar from one of his bites but he turned out to be so gentle and loving over a few weeks. I had many years of fun with him. I miss him still when I play with Tinker.
Amazon's are unique in my opinion. They have a nature about them that says " I want to trust you, show me that I can, and I'll be your best buddy"
Poppers was one mean Amazon at first. She would rip flesh. She had a serious bite. And she meant business. But after a while that stopped.
she ended up becoming one of the best birds I have ever had. We had an incredible bond.
And the funny thing is, Pierre is going same route as poppers. He's really turning into one sweet bird. Even my wife quoted " he's a reincarnation of poppers"... She didn't think any bird could come close to the sweetness poppers gave.
I know exactly what your going through missing Gus....I'm going through it missing poppers. Grey grey has helped through it. He misses her as well.I
But he's half poppers age. When I got grey grey he was just a chick. Poppers played momma to him.
Everything Grayson picked up, he got from poppers. He's one sweet and unique grey. We know each other quite well. And I can flip him on his back, lay him on my chest, run under his wings, run his toes, ask questions and he'll answer for me. He's one of those birds if the choice was between a million dollar lotto win and grey grey, I chose grey grey. He's just great.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
The brilliant colors on Pierre are just incredible. What a beauty he is!

He must be really be enjoying a great diet! I bet he smells great, too (if you dare to try).

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The brilliant colors on Pierre are just incredible. What a beauty he is!

He must be really be enjoying a great diet! I bet he smells great, too (if you dare to try).
Thanks, he is quite a chow hound, but he's also big build. I limit the seeds to morning, and fresh at noon and dinner. He loves yellow beets, sweet potatoes, orange lentils, peas, edamame, plant based pasta, banana, not fond of sprouts. He gets no junk food what so ever, and I limit nuts. Loves carrots if they are steamed and mashed.
So he has a great diet. Prefers his pellets wet.
Yes he smells good, gives kisses and knows bite pressure. He grabs bottom lip, but gently, and wants a kiss. He could rip my face off that close, but I trust him and so far he's showing he can trust me.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
A new thing happened last night that my wife and I were totally amused and happy about with Pierre.
Once a day, usually evening. I give grey grey s syringe of food. This consist of pureed food such as veggies and beans. He is picky with veggies and doesn't always eat them so syringe is a way to make sure he gets his veggies and vitamins that it provides.
Pierre watches closely from a distance. And sees that grey grey is enjoying it and likes it.
So...I decided to try it on Pierre.
Would you believe as he sat on my hand he leaned forward and took the syringe of veggies!!
I don't know if he has ever had syringe in past, but he wasn't afraid. And was good about it.
I think this was a classic example of monkey see monkey do. They watch other bird set an example, and they try it too.
Amazing!! I'm thrilled. I'm just tickled here.
IMG_20200307_115100352.jpg