• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Of Possible Aviary Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
Here are some pictures of the area where I am thinking of building an aviary.

On that concrete patch. The room right next to the concrete patch would be turned into a bird room and I would open the door to let them fly in and out.

There is a balcony above that room that I was thinking I could use to anchor the structure. That balcony is conveniently attached to my bedroom. I was also thinking of stretching an extra piece of netting from the balcony to the floor as an added precaution in case the birds somehow break free from the first layer of netting. I guess kind of a safety net.

And this is the view from the balcony.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Anyone built something similar?

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
My DH has promised me an aviary when he returns to the States. This is the reason I let him go! He is fabricating mine after Laura Josephs'. He is attaching steel cable line from our house to the tree's and then securing the netting. He is making modifications but it will be like this:
All Good Things Must Come To An End….. « Lara Joseph

I cannot wait to see your finished aviary! Very exciting and I will be following your threads :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
It looks like a great location, I can't wait to see your progress! :)

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
Oooh what a nice spot! I think that would be great! Best of luck with figuring out how you are going to do it. Having the net up to your bedroom would be great because you could then use it as a separate area where you can go out with the birds and relax if you want to! Can't wait to see updates :)

HungryBird

JL, that is actually the netting I am considering! I e-mailed them a while ago to inquire about which netting would be best and they suggested one with 1 inch by 1 inch holes. They said it is very strong. My paranoia requires me to have an additional layer of netting just in case.

I was thinking about making the aviary extend up into the bedroom too. That would mean that an entire wing of the house has been taken over by the birds! I'm not sure everyone else would think that was a great idea but it might be possible. No one uses the room I want to turn into the bird room and the room above is mine so no one uses that either.

The carpet is another issue. I have always had hardwood floors and none of my rooms have had carpeting. Except this house has carpeting in every room except the ground level/kitchen/dining room area and the bathrooms. I hate carpeting and think it is pretty disgusting and gross and I cannot imagine keeping birds in a room with carpeting. I would have to rip up the carpet in the hopeful bird room and put linoleum down. I'm not so sure ripping up the carpet in the bedroom is a good idea, in fact I know it is not. So I'm not entirely sure what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.