• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictured Pi thread

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Look how bold Max is!

I was working behind my laptop, and he decided to fly through the room and come sit across the table!
He spend a good ten minutes sitting there making weird noises one was like a high “HUUUUUUUH” does anyone recognize this??

Attachments

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well, all my guys made slightly different noises but that sounds like a comment noise to me or he was just trying to get your attention and hoping you'd make noise back. Dobby LOVES it when we make his whistles back at him.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
They are so pretty! With those white spots on their heads and secret red feathers! :heart:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The twoheaded Maxi Pi ready to take off.
And don't let the cute little head fool you, that is the head that bites, (not me) and scream for attention.

IMG_20200323_114845.jpg

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
When I got my brothers in 78 they were also called scaly head parrots. If you look close they do look like scales. I don't think anybody calls them that anymore but they were new to the pet trade when I got them and it took years to get any information about them for me. They are such beautiful mostly even tempered birds.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He's not fluffing and his eyes are soft so I think he's ok with you. Just watch the body language. I got bit on the lip by Lurch back in the day when he wasn't ready for me to get close and I wasn't paying attention. Being bit in the face or eyes is not a good thing but he seems pretty calm.

Archer90

Meeting neighbors
IMO the easiest way to see if he is ok with you is looking at his tail. My Pi is often fluffy when im comming to him, but i can scratch him a bit even then. Of course he sometimes is tricking me when he is moody and May bite, but that is quite rare.

When i see his tail is spread and he is fluffy, then it is better to leave him alone.

Also suddenly changing your appearance is not good also. Changing shirts, getting hair cut or getting off your beard may get him in bite mode.

@Eloy

God bless, i know how much one headed maxi can eat, did you enough time to put something in the Bowl for two headed before its empty? :-D

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Yep, when they're doing the strut with the tail fanned out and head fluffed up best to do NO TOUCHY unless you really want to get bit. Nerd bird would allow it because we had years together and he totally trusted me, but I tried to respect him and not do it unless needed. Lurch would just try to kill me, Dobby would probably run away but I won't push it.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
No current pictures of Andre. So I will include my absolute favorite picture of him. It was taken in 2018. I love his accidental halo.
20160709_050046.jpg

He is looking a little tattered right now and desperately needs a shower. But my old battery operated spray bottle died. My new one just arrived yesterday afternoon but I haven't had time to wash and disinfect it. I have been working extra hours this week because I don't know if I will be able to work after that.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Max has this "SILENCE! I KILL YOU!" attitude thats hard to miss ;-)

While in the first pic his feathers are fluffed, his tail was not.. if his tail is fanned, then i better move away :D
So, he sat on top of the door, which seems to be his favorite place these days, and suddenly he landed on my back!
I gave him an almond as a reward, i really love this little big fella :heart:

Yoshi is not so outgoing, during the day she sits in Max's cage, and in the night i will gently lure her to the doggybech, which is for the time beeing her sleepingplace. she's not wild anymore, but she also isnt really interested. and there also arent any new feathers on her head :(

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He's not fluffing and his eyes are soft so I think he's ok with you.
Agree. That is what they should look like for interaction. :)

While in the first pic his feathers are fluffed, his tail was not..
No not ok. I say like this.
Head fluff, can be ok.
Head and body fluff, no no.
Head and tail fluff, be careful and better leave them alone.

Ime, the worst is the head and body fluff, that always means really angry. If you don't respect that mode they will attack.

The head and tail fluff means exited, it can be ok to still handle them, but I don't recommend to do it to a male.
I can handle my girl's when they are excited, they aren't that aggressive as males are.
You will learn, and as he is hormonal I would not put my face so close to him. They are going for our eyes so please be careful. :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
The “SILENCE! I KILL YOU!” Mode.. :D

@Eloy oh dear.. well i have a lot to learn about pionusses still ;-)

we’re not in the touch phase yet anyway. No handling, no scritches, just standing near eachother :)
While he does come close, he won’t let me touch him yet anyway.

I think i actually heard him talk.. since i’m home so much, either the radio or the tv is on constantly. Could he be picking up words allready?

Attachments