• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pics & pellets

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't remember anyone posting about making their own pellets. Can you tell me why you want to make your own?

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
It would be quite hard to make it nutritionally complete- most feed pellets to fill any nutritional gaps.Perhaps you could make birdy bread instead. Birdy bread is by no means nutritionally complete but it's a good addition. You can also add in lots of veg and fruit :)

Last edited:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I think the closest you can get to making your own pellets would be baking healthy bird bread and adding multivitamin powder.

But even then, you are not able to test the final product to confirm it is properly balanced. It is not really the same as using high quality pellets.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
i don't think anyone should be making their own pellets because of these reasons:
- the pellet is the main thing your bird is going to eat (besides veggies). if one thing is wrong then your bird may get sick or lack some essential vitamins
- pellets from reputable brands like lafeber's, roudybush, harrisons, zupreem, etc took many years to develop, research, and perfect the pellets and making the simple homemade pellets aren't the same.
- last of all, why would you? it's cheaper to buy pellets at a pet store or wherever you buy them then making them. it will cost a fortune to buy all the vitamins, seeds, grains, pellet compressor, and other things to make it. pls it's very time consuming.
if you are still making pellets by yourself i highly think you shouldn't

Goat2020Au

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy Kee
Thank
i don't think anyone should be making their own pellets because of these reasons:
- the pellet is the main thing your bird is going to eat (besides veggies). if one thing is wrong then your bird may get sick or lack some essential vitamins
- pellets from reputable brands like lafeber's, roudybush, harrisons, zupreem, etc took many years to develop, research, and perfect the pellets and making the simple homemade pellets aren't the same.
- last of all, why would you? it's cheaper to buy pellets at a pet store or wherever you buy them then making them. it will cost a fortune to buy all the vitamins, seeds, grains, pellet compressor, and other things to make it. pls it's very time consuming.
if you are still making pellets by yourself i highly think you shouldn't
you for that information. I hadn’t thought of that.

Goat2020Au

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy Kee
It would be quite hard to make it nutritionally complete- most feed pellets to fill any nutritional gaps.Perhaps you could make birdy bread instead. Birdy bread is by no means nutritionally complete but it's a good addition. You can also add in lots of veg and fruit :)
Thank you, I’m finding that out that trying to make pellets isn’t quite a good idea.

Goat2020Au

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy Kee
Than
I think the closest you can get to making your own pellets would be baking healthy bird bread and adding multivitamin powder.

But even then, you are not able to test the final product to confirm it is properly balanced. It is not really the same as using high quality pellets.
k you so much for your input but I think maybe I’ll stick to buying them I guess.

Goat2020Au

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy Kee
I do give him lots of vegetables and stuff besides his pellets. He gets Lafebers pellets +in tune fruit pellets + sunflower seeds+ parrot seed in the morning. In the afternoon he gets quinoa+brown rice+sweet potatoes +beets+couscous +barley+celery +apples