• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pics: Lolita tries Pandanus Fruit for 1st time today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
We got some ripe Pandanus fruits yesterday from some local Screw Pines....boy, do they have a sweet almost citrus-like smell! I even chewed on one, and yep, it is sort of sweet but tangy. The flesh is really a tough fibrous material but tasty. Each piece has 3 to 4 seeds inside.

Well, today I gave a piece to Lolita to see if she would like it. Boy, did she! I ended up giving her 3 pieces today, and she chewed each of them up. She has not figured out that there are seeds inside, but she chewed the husk until there was no color left in it. Kept her beak busy for quite awhile. :D

Lolita will be turning 3 years old in about 2 months. When she was barely a year old, she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and not expected to live for very long. She has endured 3 surgeries on her eye -- that is where the tumor developed. Her last surgery was on March 31, 2009. This is the longest she has went without the tumor resurfacing. I am, of course, hoping it is gone for good. Lolita holds a very special place in my heart. She is the one who first learned to sing the Copacabana Song -- I've posted a video of her singing it here before. Remember her? Anyway, she's looking good, isn't she? These photos show her enjoying her first piece of Pandanus. It was a hit.

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
Of course we remember her awesome singing! :dance4: :D I can see now one more reason why she is so special to you. :hug8:

And yes, she is looking absolutely Gorgeous! :heart: :cool1:

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
That sweet gal...I sure hope too that she has no further recurrances. :heart: She's sure has a zeal for life and is enjoying it to the full.

emilybsharp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Emily
OMG She is absolutely gorgeous! Im glad she is enjoying it, she sure has a happy face! Shes a survivor thats for sure!! Good for her!! :heart::heart: Beautiful girl!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Wow, look at Lolita working that nut! She is so beautiful! Who could forget her singing? I had that song stuck in my head all day, and it made me laugh and smile. Give her hugs and scritches for that, people kept asking what i was smiling about, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.