• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pics BudgieSneezing cere dry and white

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Hi all my budgie was sneezing a lot at night before bed, and she’s gradually sneezing. More now mot Just Before bed and I notice here cere is dry and white .. she just took a bath here .. and I feel it looks a little better now , but check it out what so you think
She does have hypertrophy of the cere and I’ve brought here to the vet about it it’s harmless and nothing they can do I’m talking about under it on the cere and around it

Attachments

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
@Staff should we move this so it gets the proper attention?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I believe @Lady Jane is the most experienced with this. I've never had any experience of this myself but I do understand that hypertrophy can be very irritating.
The only thing I can suggest for now is raising the humidity. The air does get dry in winter with the heat on.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In looking at your photos I do see hypertrophy of cere on yellow female. When my female budgie had this I took her to the vet to be sure I was doing what was needed. If left untreated the cere may actually curl around and eventually block the nasal passages. If that happened the vet told me he would cut that portion of the cere away so there would not be any breathing issue. He said it was usually a hormonal cause and could be a growth of some kind pressing on the gland that secretes estrogen. He examined her but felt nothing and also said the only way to truly tell was to do a cat scan which would cost over one thousand dollars. I asked him about applying small amounts of coconut oil on a daily basis to the cere and he said this may slow down the curling up of cere. I did this for about 1 year and suggested to @finchly to do the same. The photos I have seen of her recently show a cere that looks pretty good. I could find no dietary triggers except the seeds that have phytoestrogen properties such as flax seeds.

I used a small Q tip to apply coconut oil to cere, being very careful not to get it into the feathers or nose/eyes. She eventually got used to this procedure and was quite calm when I did this. Good luck

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Yes I brought her
In looking at your photos I do see hypertrophy of cere on yellow female. When my female budgie had this I took her to the vet to be sure I was doing what was needed. If left untreated the cere may actually curl around and eventually block the nasal passages. If that happened the vet told me he would cut that portion of the cere away so there would not be any breathing issue. He said it was usually a hormonal cause and could be a growth of some kind pressing on the gland that secretes estrogen. He examined her but felt nothing and also said the only way to truly tell was to do a cat scan which would cost over one thousand dollars. I asked him about applying small amounts of coconut oil on a daily basis to the cere and he said this may slow down the curling up of cere. I did this for about 1 year and suggested to @finchly to do the same. The photos I have seen of her recently show a cere that looks pretty good. I could find no dietary triggers except the seeds that have phytoestrogen properties such as flax seeds.

I used a small Q tip to apply coconut oil to cere, being very careful not to get it into the feathers or nose/eyes. She eventually got used to this procedure and was quite calm when I did this. Good luck
yes I brought her a long time ago for hpetrophy of the cere I was told the same thing my concern as abut the dry white around it

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can try coconut oil topically or in some of the food. Increase the humidity in your home.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The sneezing could be anything from some dust, feathers or food particles settling inside the nose (in which case, a good soaking bath could help!), to maybe a vitamin A deficiency, an infection or otherwise.

A dry beak could potentially be the signs of mites or something else. Coconut oil would make it look better, at minimum, but if there's something else going on, then it wont fix that issue.