• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pico Meany Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peteysmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Heather
Pico is mean. Not aggressive lunge at you mean, but bite your finger off if you get to close mean.

I know that it takes time for newly rehomed birdies to adjust. But i'm concerned that he may not ever. The people who had him before said that he hung out on shoulders. I find it incredibly hard to belive, they both still had their ears. The picture they sent showed them wearing a big leather glove to hold him. (I didn't notice this until someone here pointed it out after I had him home) I have been either wearing my gloves, or using a perch to pick him up. I can pull him into my chest to scritch his head, but as soon as he gats a chance he tries to take off my finger. He bit me on the chest once too. If I even put my hand in the cage to give food or water I have to wait for him to move so he doesn't bite.

I guess my question is does anyone have advise? I'm trying to be patient, and I already know it will take awhile if ever he trusts me or anyone to pick him up. I try to talk to him (like all day, really), and I let him out of the cage almost all day. I bring treats and do the 'i'm not aggressive' stuff. lol! I just need to know if anything else works, or has worked for anyone else who had a biting fid. Not nippy, that I could handle. He bites. Hard.

I must admit, I get a little jealous of all of you who have cuddly GCCs. ;)

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I would continue being patient - and i wouldn't pull him out to cuddle on your chest - it doesn't sound like he's comfortable with that, if he bites the first chance he gets. He might come around - it could take weeks, or even months before he does, though.

Peteysmom

Real Name
Heather
Thanks. I was wondering if I should cuddle or not. (I really want to, I love him!) I guess I am just looking for any ideas on how to bond that i'm not already doing, or that I hadn't thought of :)

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Oh Im so sorry its slow going - I know how you feel. I would be sad if a member of the household pets didnt love me back too!
But keep trucking! He will come around, probably overnight when you least expect it! It sounds like his previous owners gave him little to be excited about when being handled!
Try to mke sure that your appraoching him with positive energy/thoughts - I know it sounds kooky, but it really makes a difference in animals. Weak or frantic or sad engery only puts them on high alert. Always make your interaction with him calm and positive, and if he bites, end the interaction for a while and go back later.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Aren't you always suppposed to end on a positive note with animals? Is you end on a bite that's not exactly positive.. I wouldn't end with a bite

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I would think biting is a warning that he isnt into whatever her advances are, and taking his warnings seriously might be a way to earn his trust IMO - I meant that SHE should be positive at all times.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Well Im sure more experienced owners will come along soon enough and offer some great advice, they always do here :heart:

MollyMouse

I would continue being patient - and i wouldn't pull him out to cuddle on your chest - it doesn't sound like he's comfortable with that, if he bites the first chance he gets. He might come around - it could take weeks, or even months before he does, though.
I agree with Emmilyy. I have to say I love the title of your thread I think I might call my quaker Molly meany pants!! :rofl: I was given an amazing amount of info from everyone in the lovebird section you may find some of that helpful in your situation. The thread was called caged and untamed lovebird. Good luck.

Last edited:

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Treats....soft mushy foods...feed him from your fingers so he begins to associate them with good yummy things.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How long have you had him? I can't remember. First off has "he" been DNA'd? You could have a little hen. Second, bird time and human time is not the same. He still sounds scared, unsure and unhappy to be in a new place. Don't handle him at all with your hands, use a perch all the time. Lots of low energy, no eye contact, slow movements and respect what he's telling you.

Ginger

Peteysmom

Real Name
Heather
Treats....soft mushy foods...feed him from your fingers so he begins to associate them with good yummy things.
Oh, if I even give him a treat with my fingers...I almost lost a fingertip! :huh::eek:

How long have you had him? I can't remember. First off has "he" been DNA'd? You could have a little hen. Second, bird time and human time is not the same. He still sounds scared, unsure and unhappy to be in a new place. Don't handle him at all with your hands, use a perch all the time. Lots of low energy, no eye contact, slow movements and respect what he's telling you.

Ginger
I have not had him long, at all. I was just wondering how to bond the quickest and with as little stress as possible. I'll search through the threads, i'm sure someone has already asked. :o: No, 'he' hasn't been DNA'd, that I know of. The previous people didn't seem very knowlegable about him. I will keep using the perch, and leave the gloves. It is hard to have low energy with a high energy birdy! But I will do the best I can. We are a pretty high energy group.

Right now he's in the livingroom. Right in the middle of all the action. Do you think it might be better to put him in a different room? Maybe a quieter one until he gets better adjusted?:confused:

Peteysmom

Real Name
Heather
I agree with Emmilyy. I have to say I love the title of your thread I think I might call my quaker Molly meany pants!! :rofl: I was given an amazing amount of info from everyone in the lovebird section you may find some of that helpful in your situation. The thread was called caged and untamed lovebird. Good luck.

Pico Meany Pants is a play off the nick name my daughter gave him. She calls him Prince Pico Pants :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.